VIII| What's Absent and what's Present pt. 2

“To starboard, quartermaster.”

     “But capt’n, we’re straying off the course that way.”

     “Even so, starboard.”

     “...aye.”

     Zane finds himself eavesdropping on the captain. Well, everyone on the main deck is eavesdropping as they too would like to know why the captain would change the usual course.

     Yang hardly lets anything stop him under any circumstances. Destiny’s Bounty has built a strong and intimidating reputation for centuries (whoever the captain be), let alone having a smaller version of the ship tailing behind. They’re indestructive, Yang knew and took pride in that. That man gave not a single drop of fuck if they’re waging battles or not.

     So why change course now?

     Especially now that he’s finally close to dominating the seas.

     Zane can not help but find it strange as he stacks multiple buckets onto one tall pile. He’s currently tidying up the mops and buckets now that swabbing the deck is over.

     What could be the reason for this change?

     “Privateers and navy arms will be there, stationed and ready to take aim at us,” Yang said as he steered the helm himself, sailing away from the distant lands at the port side. “to Davy Jones's locker we are, if changing courses we do not.”

     Now Yang normally wouldn’t let that slow him down.

     He never did.

     Zane — being a wary pirate he is and actually cares about where the boat he’s aboard on is going — decides to be nosy about it.

     “It doesn’t make any sense.”

     The albino stares at the empty table with a poorly drawn map stained with water. He dips his finger on the bucket and draws a cross on where their current location is.

     “Yang wouldn’t want to take time when he’s so close to his goal, wouldn’t he?” He muttered to no one, still staring at the map intently, if not aggressively. “Have privateers become stronger?”

     “Could there be a shortcut to Stiix?”

     “Yeah no, I studied the charts growing up so I got every shortcut and courses memorized. And there’s only one way to Stiix unless you’re down to venture tempest seas, which is a suicide path. Heh, who goes there anywa — is that supposed to be a map?”

     Lloyd walks backwards as he checks out the 'map' he walked past earlier.

     Zane eyes him, visibly, and chooses to ignore him.

     So there’s no shortcut to Stiix. Interesting. That doesn’t sound good. So they’re not only sailing away from the route to Stiix, but also practically fleeing away from their destination.

     After steering the boat to starboard, he thought Yang would’ve stayed in that direction and just circle around where the real route is supposed to be, but Yang practically did an acute angle. It’s like they’re going somewhere different.

     Why won’t Yang just drop the anchor? Wouldn’t that be easier and sensible?

     That old man has never chickened out from the privateers and royal navy before. If the sole purpose of changing the course is to avoid them then something is wrong with Yang’s head. They already sailed damn it.