Vol.17 Ch.36: The Overextension That Ruined Everything

Ronald deactivated his Dragon form in order to have an easier time maneuvering around the jungle. Gunz and Chessmaster shouldn't be able to catch up to him anytime soon, so it was fine to escape the rest of the way as a human.

"Hey, I did it!" Ronald grinned. "I actually smacked that dang Vanishing! Pretty awesome, right?"

As if to answer the question, a loud BAM resounded! Right as Ronald passed around the corner, a shockwave knocked him high into the air!

"W-Wha-!?" Ronald exclaimed. "Why is he...!?"

It was Vanguard's Heavy Stomp and a charged-up one at that! EnduringPhoenix was here, and it's as if bruh was waiting for Ronald to show up here all along!

But, that wasn't the end of the surprises. While Ronald was in midair, a dark magical ball smacked him!

Even she is here!? Ronald gasped. Dang, it's like they've been waiting for me...!

Until now, Ronald was confident that he safely escaped from danger. But, it turned out a nasty trap was waiting for him along the way!

"Um, guys?" Ronald smiled wryly. "I might have a problem here, haha..."

He tried to roll away as soon as he landed, but the Sorcerer's Dimensional Collapse pulled him back toward the Vanguard. In turn, Phoenix unleashed Provoke, forcing the Dragonborn to stay around for a while longer.

Just like this, in a matter of seconds, that organized duo made quick work of what was left of Ronald's HP.

『You have been killed!』

"Welp, I tried." Ronald shrugged and dropped back on his chair. "At least Vanishing is finally out of the picture. I did good, right?"

"Absolutely not," Cato asserted. "That overextension was beyond foolish. Can you explain to me how you expected to walk out of there alive? You dove absurdly deep into enemy territory."

"Hey, I almost made it, right?" Ronald insisted. "I mean, I got in, smacked the Ninja girl, and then got out. It's not my fault they prepared such a nasty trap for me at the last moment."

"Except, it totally IS your fault," Cato argued. "You should have expected it to be hard. I thought we all agreed by now that Stratus is a competent team this year and that we have to treat them as such."

"Eh, yeah, I guess." Ronald awkwardly scratched his head. "Buy hey, it was totally worth, right? Finally, we got a kill on this Vanishing girl! It's the first time we killed her this game, so big stonks!"

"Perhaps it would have been 'big stonks' if you had achieved this 10 minutes earlier," Cato said. "But, late-game is already around the corner. At this point, as long as we stick together, Vanishing should barely get any opportunities to assassinate anybody. In other words, she's not that big of a threat anymore."

"You say that, but the fact is, she's still racking up them kills."

"... yes, she did pull a few fast ones on us, I admit." Cato frowned. Though, it wasn't just Vanishing, per se. I'm sure Yuel was the one who arranged all these convenient board positions for her.

Ever since Vanishing scored the Double Kill at the start of the mid-game, Cato had been extra careful to not give that phantom any more opportunities. And, Sonya also had been aiding him greatly in keeping track of the assassin's movements.

Therefore, as an individual player, Vanishing was thoroughly shut down. If this were a ball game, then Cato and Sonya were doing the equivalent of double-teaming Vanishing in order to stop all incoming passes from reaching her.