Vol.18 Ch.23: Nia's Lack of Communication

After Nia's failed gank attempt on Top, Stratus was left in a difficult spot. Both Ben and Nia were forced to flee the lane with heavy injuries, so nobody was around to defend the lane right now.

This push is probably a game-deciding play. Yuel thought. If we can't slow it down at all, the Orc will snowball out of control.

That wouldn't have been the end of the world if the Orc player was someone else. But, it was Apprentece, the Korean prodigy. Stratus had little hope of snatching victory away from that guy.

Ugh, it's my fault. I didn't expect to get baited like this. Yuel blamed himself for the poor instructions he gave Nia. Deep down, I knew it might be bait, but I couldn't imagine how Apprentece could possibly turn that 1v2 situation in his favor. But, now I know...

It was splendid counterplay on Apprentece's end. The way he intercepted Nia right before she launched her attack was nothing short of brilliant.

He probably prepared a ward over there ahead of time. Yuel reasoned. He took a gamble and it paid off big time. I respect that.

It was a risky play that was very much in line with Yuel's tactics. Apprentece judged the abilities and playstyles of his opponents and went for a play that masterfully took advantage of all that information.

Or, maybe I give him too much credit? Yuel wondered. Maybe he just looks down on all of us equally, so that's why he was sure that play would work. In reality, it only worked so well because it was these two...

Nia and Ben, the two troublemakers with communication issues.

"Ben, why did you charge in?" Yuel asked. "I told you to retreat many, many MANY times."

"I'm sorry..." Ben hung his head. "I saw Nia was in trouble and it was all my fault, so I had to rush to help her..."

"You panicked back there. Your defense is usually much better than this."

"Yes, I'm sorry..." Ben could do nothing but apologize. "Everything about that situation was my fault, from start to end..."

"That's an exaggeration," Yuel said. "I'm the one who told Nia to gank Top. And, she's the one who failed to properly communicate her arrival to you, right?" He shot a piercing glare at the culprit.

"Gufu..." Nia glanced aside, playing dumb.

"Why didn't you properly inform Ben when you were planning to enter the lane?" Yuel asked. "That disaster could've been prevented if the two of you were better organized."

"But, I wanted to do a surprise gank..." Nia mumbled.

"That topic again?" Yuel sighed. "Are you saying the reason you didn't inform Ben was that you were afraid he'd telegraph your gank?"

"Mhm. It was already a sketchy gank as it is, so I tried to make it at least a little better."

"Yes, 'better'." Yuel narrowed his eyes. "You isolated yourself from your ally and planned to challenge a formidable opponent alone. I fail to see what was 'better' about any of that."

"Well, when you put it that way, it doesn't sound good at all..."

"Yes, it sure doesn't."

"Yep." Nia nodded. "I can't believe anybody would go for a bad play like this."

"I know, right?"

"Yep..." Nia averted her eyes.

Yuel sighed. "Please, Nia. For the hundredth time: more communication."