Vol.18 Ch.43: The Zone... Or Hyperfocus?

『You have killed an enemy!』

The message flashed on Lars's screen, but it was merely a confirmation of something he already knew the moment he pulled the trigger. He had absolute confidence his shot will hit the rolling target, and it really did. There were no surprises there.

Nonetheless, this occasion called for a celebration! Alas, the moment was ruined by an arrow that pierced his back soon after.

Oh, you dudes are still here. Lars turned around and shot the bowman straight in the forehead. It was an immediate shot with zero time to aim.

But if so, then how did Lars nail it, let alone score a headshot? Well obviously, his 500% accuracy would never miss a shot.

... wait, 500%? Was his aim always like that? Honestly, he felt a little out of it right now.

His body moved just fine as it sniped down the bowmen one by one. Nonetheless, his head just felt... empty. Even more empty than usual.

But, it was not the bad kind of emptiness. On the contrary, by erasing all the irrelevant thoughts, he felt like his brain concentrated 500% on his surroundings.

In short, Lars had transcended thinking at this very moment! His brain was concentrated on the game to the point that "thinking" was too slow. Only scrubs had to "think". Real pros gotta "feel" it, yo!

Unfortunately, this state of drunkenness didn't last long. As the situation around him calmed down and the lane became empty, a switch flipped off in his mind. After that, a wave of fatigue washed over him.

"Phew." Lars exhaled weakly as he leaned back. This gaming chair was very comfy. So much, so that he almost wanted to take a short nap on it...

However, that improper desire was shortly interrupted by the team's celebration,

"Y-You finally did it!" Ben exclaimed. "You killed that Korean player!"

"Great job," Kai said. "Finally, you showed him who's boss."

"Yes!" Even Nia pumped a little fist, though she tried to keep a low profile about it.

However, unlike the rest of them, Yuel paid more attention to something else.

"Are you okay?" Yuel asked. "You're oddly quiet about all of this."

"Oh, yeah, I'm fine. 100%, dude." Lars tried to smile as always but his voice clearly lacked its usual vigor.

"I expected you to jump around and boast about how you've just killed Apprentece. After all, this is the first kill we've managed to score on him in this game."

"Oh yeah, you're right. I totally did that dude in, didn't I? Hehe." Lars snickered. "Ain't I awesome, yo!? I showed him the business!" He pumped a fist for a moment but it soon fell off.

He looks a little out of it. Yuel thought. As I thought, it's "that" thing again.

Though the condition was extremely rare, this wasn't the first time Lars exhibited these symptoms. In the heat of a critical moment, the goof would sometimes go quiet and exhibit an unparalleled level of concentration on the task at hand. For a few short moments, it was almost like watching a completely different person play the game.

During those times, Lars's execution was even more flawless than usual. In fact, it was almost accurate to call it superhuman, even more than his regular execution was.

On top of that, even his decision-making seemed to skyrocket during these times, though that aspect of the state was much harder to reach proper conclusions on.