His Story Time - Pt. 1 #7

From Anguish to Contentment

I exited the Now Or Never coffee shop with an Irish coffee in my hand.

The evening sky was painted with fading yellow and orange colors. The air was cool and light, and there was a gentle breeze blowing, rustling through the leaves and creating a soothing sound.

It has been two days since professor Hassan's invitation. The last two days went by in blur without much crossing paths with professor Hassan. The news of exams hung over us which were due after two months. Professor Hassan was busy with his book that he told us he was writing.

I sipped my coffee as I resumed my walk down the street. My encounter with dad went really bad if not worse, thanks to mom. The place that I called home was now becoming a living hell, my dad watched my every move with hawk like eyes and he decided to pile up Bibles on my table because he thought his son was going all softy for Muslims.

Oh dad, nothing you do will make me stop now. I wonder what would be his reaction if I actually become a Muslim. It will be worse of the worst, I was sure. Thankfully, he did not kicked me out. John called me later that night to ask if I was okay and if he could lock his door.

I laughed at that.

Today, it was Saturday so John offered to drive us to professor Hassan's house since my bike wasn't in good condition. I was in need of a long walk so I informed him that I'll be at his house.

Once I came to a halt before a house as big as a mansion, I ringed John. It was such a shame to live in this huge house all alone since John's parents were always on some sort of business trip. John often called me over when it became nearly unbearable for him to repeat sleep-eat-play games routine.

I realised what a waste of life we seemed to be living without a purpose behind our actions. When I was with professor Hassan, listening to him and pondering upon certain things, I felt energetic and eager, moreover I felt as if I finally found a missing piece of myself.

Coming out of my train of thoughts, I saw John walking my way with his car keys around his finger.

"What's up, bro?" He said, unlocking his car.

"Sky and tall buildings"

John rolled his eyes, sitting in car.

"You know the address, yeah?" John asked, pulling the car out of the driveway.

"Yes, near Square Diner" I replied. We often had dinner there so John knew the way.

Suddenly John asked, breaking the silence "Were they welcoming?"

My brows came together in confusion at his sudden question before realisation hit me that he was referring to Marwan and others.

Overtaking a slow car ahead us, John sped up his car for few kilometres before slowing down once we reached the area.