【F A T H E R S L O V E】

CHAPTER 9

CHAPTER 9

• • •

OMNISCIENT 

  Together, the Guardians stood around the table. Below, an untainted figure laid his full length along the table. Belts and different straps were neatly set along his limbs. His blue skin paled, his lips only flashing a straight line. No grin. No laugh. Just silence. 

  ''I told Gamora how when I was a kid I used to pretend David Hasselhoff was my dad.'' Quill spoke in a low, solemn tone. His fingers twiddled together. ''He's a singer and actor from Earth, really famous guy.'' He clarified. 

  ''Earlier... it struck me, Yondu didn't have a talking car, but he did have a flying arrow. He didn't have the beautiful voice of an angel... but he did have the whistle of one. Both Yondu and David Hasselhoff went on kick-ass adventures... and hooked up with hot women... and fought robots. I guess David Hasselhoff did end up being my dad after all.''

  A short silence fell over the room. Peter swallowed a thick lump in his throat, obstructing his words that he'd rather share. Words that he wish he had said before. Words far too late received.

  ''Only it was you, Yondu. I had a pretty cool dad. What I'm trying to say here is... sometimes that thing your searching for your whole life... it's right there by your side all along. You don't even know it.''

  Both mammals stood close together, heads lowered in respect for whom they grew to know. Yondu wasn't the best to make friends with, but once you did, it was worthy. And although their time spent together was short, they cherished those moments with Yondu. 

  ''I am Groot.''

  Rocket gave a slow nod. ''He did call you twig.''

  • • •

  After a few lonely moments, Gamora with Nebula and Peter with Kraglin, everyone returned back to the deck. Outside the windshield were Ravagers ships, all crowding their own. What may look like a threat, turned to be stilled. The ships hadn't moved and nobody drew a weapon. 

  ''They came.'' Rocket breathed, almost astounded. 

  Confused, Drax voiced. ''What is it?'' 

  ''I sent word to Yondu's old Ravagers buddies, and told them what he did.''

  Tears pricked his eyes, a burning sensation willing to give out. Peter choked back the sobs that dared to echo. ''It's a Ravager funeral.'' 

  Suddenly, instead of gunfire, brightly colored lights had littered the galaxy. An explosive array of many colors, ranging from one to another. Burst after burst. The galaxy only lit up with the numerous amount of explosions, celebrating the life of Yondu Udonta. 

  [Y/n] watched in awe. The colorfully array she had only seen in Quill's unorthodox papers or in the iridescent bubbles on Ego — the planet she'd rather forget. But seeing them so up close... littering the sky and brighter than the stars. It amazed her.