Chapter 13

ARIA

"Don't leave me alone, please", I'm begging Lewis as he wants to leave me alone in the paddock.

"I have to be in the garage today", he answers.

"I can come with you. Please. Just don't leave me here." Somewhere where I don't know anything or anyone.

"You can come tomorrow. I thought you'd like the idea of having a day to relax and enjoy the race", he replies.

I sigh. I actually do like the idea. But how can I enjoy the race if I have no idea of what's going on?!

Lewis stops and points to a group of women gathered in front of the private entry to the Paddock Club. "Why don't you join them?", he asks me.

"Who are they?", I ask him. I am too far away to see them closely, so I have no idea who these women are.

"The girlfriends of the drivers."

"I am not a F1 wag", I correct him. "I'm an assistant. Your assistant. I don't belong there."

"You most certainly belong there", Lewis says, already walking to the group of women. Cursing him with every curse word I know in my head, I follow him to the surprised looking 4 girls.

"Ladies", Lewis greets them. Somehow, he managed to make them all smile with just one word.

"Lewis", one of them says. She's a brunette with some big-doe blue eyes. She's wearing a black short dress with some nice high heels and a pair of sunglasses on her head. There are obviously some lanyards from the paddock around her neck, yet we all have them. I recognize her. She's a French model. We haven't spent much time together, but we met at an event once. Her name is Lia Sinclair. She smiles at me once, as if she recognized me too. "Aria", she continues, coming to give me a hug. "Such a pleasure to see you again. I had no idea you and Lewis were dating."

"We're not", I am quick to correct her. Lewis looks at me once, then starts nodding agreeing.

"Oh, I'm sorry. My mistake", she excuses herself, her cheeks blushing from being a bit embarrassed. "I just thought..."

"I am his assistant", I continue.

Lia nods again, not wanting to go any deeper.

"Can Miss Grant remain with you for today?", Lewis asks them, to change the topic. "I have some business at the garage."

"Finally deciding to go back on track?", another one of the group asks. She has some big-brown eyes matching her hair in the same color. She's wearing a pastel green blouse with a pair of jeans and some high heels in the color of the blouse.

"I'm afraid not", Lewis replies, his voice trying to hide the fact this topic is uncomfortable for him. Yet from the time I've spent with him, whenever this comes up, he starts to change the subject.

"Pity", someone else adds. Her blonde hair is tucked in a ponytail, her green eyes very intense. She's in a white small crop-top with a dark purple jacket wrapped around her shoulders, RUNE written in flashy letters on it. I know it's another F1 team, since we just passed their garages and they were also colored in dark purple. She matched the outfit with some jeans and some sneakers. "APOLLO might need your help."

"I am sorry to disappoint", Lewis mutters, partly annoyed. "So, can Miss Grant remain with you?"

"Yeah, don't worry about it", Lia answers for all of them. "We'll take good care of her."

Lewis nods thankfully and wants to leave. He then turns around once more, looking straight at me.

"Will you be okay?", he asks me.