Chapter 17

ARIA

My heart is beating in my chest as I get down the plane at Guarulhos International Airport. Did I just screw all my weekend plans and travel thousands of miles to try to get APOLLO's reputation back on track?

Yes. Yes, I did.

Honestly, I don't even know what I was thinking. It's not like I can change something. If I post something with me at the Prix, it's not like the followers will magically reappear. I've told this to myself enough times on the plane.

Yet every time I wanted to back down, I kept thinking of the what ifs. What if I can change something? What if I can do something to help?

I sigh as I make my way to the row of taxis, taking the first one to lead me to the hotel.

~

"No, but you see...I have the passes", I try to convince the receptionists at the Paddock Club. I couldn't ask Lewis for help, obviously, since he has no idea I'm here, and I ended up buying the wrong passes. Which don't grant me access to all the paddock, namely they don't grant me access to the lane with garages, where the APOLLO garage is.

"I am so sorry, miss. But if you don't have the VIP passes, then you can't get through", one of them continues. The woman looks at me pitiful as I'm having a small mental breakdown.

"You don't understand. I'm working for APOLLO. I am one of their employees. I need to get down there, because that's where I work", I try to convince them. I didn't even lie. Okay, my boss doesn't know I'm here, but I still work for APOLLO.

"Miss, without the passes, we can't allow you inside", she doesn't back down.

"But...", I want to begin, yet a new voice cuts me short.

"She's with me."

I turn around and almost bump into Levi. He's staring at me, cocky grin on, as he winks once and places one of his hands on my waist, to convince the receptionists he really means it. I know I am supposed to feel anything from his touch, some spark, maybe a bit hot, but I don't feel anything. No spark. No electricity.

Levi must feel the same, since he doesn't tense or anything, only stands there.

"I am so sorry, Mr. Dyer", the woman says. "Right this way", she continues, opening the door for us. She even hands me one of those fancy VIP passes I didn't have.

Take that.

As soon as we pass through the door, Levi's hand disappears from my waist. "Sorry about that", he tells me. "Had to make it look as real as possible, you know?"

I freeze, my brain still not processing what just happened. "Why did you help me?", I can't help but ask.

Levi stops too and looks at me now. "Us blondies have to stick together."

I look at him thankfully, one step away from throwing my arms around his neck and hug him. As a friend. For as proven, there is no chemistry between us.

"And, you're Lewis' girl. I owe that to him", he continues.

"I am not his girl. I am his assistant", I correct him.

Levi cuts me short with a handshake. "That's what I said." He keeps walking, leading me through the Paddock Club. I can see many people taking out their phones and taking photos, probably not used to seeing the racers so close. I can see Levi flashing his signature grin the whole time.

"Where is Lewis anyway?", he asks me after a while.

"New York", I reply, biting my bottom lip.

Levi freezes and turns around to look at me. "Then what are you doing here?"

"Sightseeing", I try my best.

"Good one", he doesn't bite it. It's then he scans me, top to bottom. After a while he says: "You're here to try to gain back our followers."

"How did you..."

"Look at you. Flying all the way to Brazil. Taking one for the team. Oh, Lewis will love that."

"After he murders me slowly with his pencil maybe", I mutter.

Levi looks at me, cocky grin on, yet something in his eyes tells me he's proud. "You're tougher than I thought, blondie." He even slowly hits me in the ribcage with his elbow, to mark his words. He's back to smirking as he says: "I'll buy you something to eat."