The Albatross Has Landed

There were very few places in the world that Can Yaman had not traveled to in his wanderings as a photographer. He loved being outdoors in nature because it made him feel free. He loved growing up in Rome, Italy but his heart and soul longed for more. 

He could have easily joined his father's cosmetic company after college but he knew that sitting in an office all day, every day would kill his soul somehow. He went to college for business with the intention of taking over some day but he fell in love with photography soon after starting at the university in Greece and he knew he had found what he was meant to do.

There were some really tense conversations around the dinner table with his dad but he knew that his father would never force him to do something he really didn't want to do. In the end, it was his younger sister, Farah, who ended up in the finance department of their family business. He felt sure that his dad was content to have at least one of his children with him at the helm. Aziz loved his children and wanted nothing more than their happiness.

Can had been on assignment for over a year in Cambodia and hadn't seen his dad and sister for at least that long. It was time to go home. He had missed them more than he would admit so he booked his ticket to Positano as soon as he turned in his photos. He hoped that his photos would make a difference in the lives of the people he met there. They were so warm and inviting and he wanted to help them in some small way.

His family had lived in Rome all of his life but his dad decided to move their offices to Positano a few years before and Can was looking forward to the quiet slow feel of this gorgeous city. It was just what he needed after this long arduous assignment. Being near the water brought him so much peace. His dad joked with him as a kid that he had pirate blood as the sea always made Can happy.

Can drew some strange looks from his father's employees who didn't recognize him right away as he strolled confidently through the office, smiling and nodding to the few he remembered. He had changed pretty drastically since he had last seen them. His hair had grown out past his shoulders since his appearance was not a concern in the small villages he lived in the last 12 months. His beard had also gotten thicker, his skin tanned and glowed with the evidence of being exposed to the sun for hours and hours every day. 

Yes, even he had to admit it. Can chuckled to himself when he realized he actually now looked like a pirate as he walked into the Redmode Cosmetic office building. Everyone was in very proper office attire so his outfit of choice, a tank top and ripped jeans, only made Can stand out more. He definitely didn't fit in here. 

But then again..he never did.

After greeting his dad, Aziz, with a huge bear hug and a spin around his office, he surprised his beautiful sister, Farah, in her office next. She cried as she leapt out of her seat, throwing folders everywhere and causing her secretary to squeal with fright! Can always knew how to make an entrance!

The three musketeers, as their dad called them, sat and talked for awhile until Can asked if they were free for lunch only to find out that they were swamped for the rest of the day with appointments. This was the downside of not announcing his homecoming but they made plans to have dinner together that night.

Famished, Can left them to it and went to a cafe Farah had recommended. He was just about to leave after having had a delicious meal of pasta, when he found himself furiously grabbing for the beautiful woman who barreled through the door as he was reaching for it.

Limbs were everywhere, as was his long hair that he didn't bother putting up in its usual bun and her long silky hair that covered most of her face went flying as she fell forward, causing quite the scene.

Nothing could have prepared him, though, for her lips to touch his. It was only for a second or two but it lit something in his heart on fire! All he could think was "who did I just kiss??"

I'm sure it was her embarrassment that propelled her out of his arms and into the ladies restroom faster than he could have imagined so there were no words spoken at all other than her squeal. He barely saw her face in her attempt to flee but what caught his attention was her scent. He had to shake his head to get his thoughts back in order.

Can contemplated waiting to speak to her just to be sure she was alright and ended up doing just that. Of course, his real motive was to try to find out the name of the woman who created such a stir in his heart but it was to no avail. She hadn't come back out after waiting longer than he had intended. 

He had made plans with his friend, Mehmet, at the art gallery when his dad and Farah said they couldn't get away on such short notice. So he left the cafe, scratching his head, wondering how he would ever meet this mystery woman again.

As he left the cafe, he couldn't help touching his finger to his lips and thinking about how incredible his mystery woman smelled. Wildflowers...

Can recognized the floral scents from his many trips into the mountains around the world but nothing compared to this scent. Whoa...wait...did he say his mystery woman?? What was happening to him?! A few hours back home and his world had tilted off its axis.

Mehmet was an incredible artist and was so thrilled to hear that Can would actually be in town for his new art exhibit. He watched as his best friend from university sauntered into the gallery looking like he had been living out of touch from society for a very long time. But it didn't surprise him. 

Can was always a little different from everyone else, Mehmet thought. He certainly didn't care what others thought of his appearance, even though his good looks always made him popular with the ladies. Can didn't notice though. He had once told Mehmet about a girl he fell in love with in high school but never had a chance to date her. 

Whenever he talked about this girl..what was her name...he couldn't remember..Can always had this faraway look on his face. He wished that one day Can would find the love that he deserved.

Can! I can't believe that you're here! How long are you here for? We have so much to catch up on, brother! Mehmet yelled.

Brother, it's so good to see you! I have missed you, Can said as he grabbed his friend in a big hug, patting his back loudly and smiling broadly.

I'm on a short two week break and so happy it's while you're having your exhibit opening. When is it again, tomorrow night?

Yes, here at the gallery tomorrow at 8 pm. I can't wait to show you my new pieces. Are you free for dinner tonight? We have so much to catch up on.

No, not tonight. Dad, Farah and I are having dinner but soon, brother, soon.

Can and Mehmet talked for awhile but not far from the gallery, Sanem was trying hard to get her emotions in order at the cafe.

WHAT WAS THAT?! she thought. 

She couldn't get over what had just happened to her. She stayed in the restroom far too long but hoped it was long enough for the man to leave. Luckily, he was gone when she finally came out and found a seat at a table.

She was so confused and she couldn't seem to get her heart to stop beating out of her chest. Shaking her head, she gave her order to the server and tried to push it to the back of her mind for the time being. 

She shouldn't have these thoughts. Not about a total stranger. And definitely not about a gorgeous total stranger. 

No. She shouldn't be having these thoughts at all.