Wattpad Original
There are 8 more free parts

Ch. 22: Swimming Pools Don't Have Asses

My heart jumped into my throat as I slowly moved down the steps into the pool. Warm water swirled around my calves, my knees, my hips, and I sharply sucked in air when it reached my waist.

Finn stood a few feet away, clad only in a pair of boxer shorts, droplets of water gleaming like diamonds on his muscled chest. He must have proper swimming trunks in the house, so I assumed he'd chosen to wear his boxers so I wouldn't feel weird about being in my underwear.

"I'm right here," he said, and held out both hands. "Can you reach me?"

I eyed the distance between us.

Both of Finn's feet were firmly planted on the floor, he wasn't close to being out of his depth yet, but he was a lot taller than me.

I shuffled closer.

The water rose around my waist, and as it touched the underside of my breasts, panic fluttered inside me. I paused, breathing hard.

"Just a little further," Finn encouraged.

Another step.

Then another.

The floor sloped suddenly down, the water deepening, and I froze, my throat clamming up.

"I can't," I whispered.

"You sure?" Finn's voice was gentle.

I closed my eyes.

I heard the swish of water, then a warm, wet hand cupped my cheek. I opened my eyes. Finn stood in front of me, his grey eyes soft, drops of water sparkling in his messy hair.

"Sorry," I mumbled.

"For what?"

I shrugged. It wasn't my fault, I couldn't help my phobia, but somehow I still felt like I was letting us both down.

"Look." Finn turned my head so I was looking back the way I'd come. "See how much further you've come since yesterday?"

"It only looks like an extra couple of steps," I said.

"That's still two more steps than yesterday."

Well, that was true.

"Hey." Finn's thumb stroked my cheek, and I automatically turned my face into his touch. "Don't beat yourself up, you're doing great."

I let out a shaky breath. "Somehow I don't think you're going to get me swimming before the snow melts though."

He flashed me a cocky grin. "Keep telling yourself that."

"Keep telling yourself that."

His grin only widened.

He slid one arm under my butt and hoisted me up, water sloshing around us. "You know why I'm so confident?" he asked.

I shook my head.

Finn gazed up at me as I braced my hands on his shoulders, feeling that solid muscle under my palms.

"Because the Tasha that I know doesn't run from her fears. She grabs them by the throat and kicks them in the balls," Finn said.

I swallowed a sudden knot in my throat.

Was that how he saw me?

It sure as shit wasn't how I saw myself.

"I'm not sure that's true." My voice came out as a whisper.

Finn shrugged, the movement lifting me higher, then lower. "I disagree. You're here now, aren't you? Facing the water even though you're scared of it."

"I wouldn't be doing that without you though."