❪ 003 ❫. unknown territory

003.  unknown territory

  unknown territory

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

                  GETTING CLOSER AND CLOSER TO MOUNT WEATHER, THE TEENAGERS GREW MORE TIRED. It had been hours of constant hiking, with only a few occasional stops to take in the scenery splayed around them, and without any water or food, their bodies weren't accustomed to this amount of exercise. As they trekked down a hill, Finn called out. "Hey, you know what I like to know. Why send us down today after ninety-seven years? What changed?"

Octavia, being the one in front, spoke up. "Who cares? I'm just glad they did." She asked, grabbing onto a tree and swinging herself so that she spun. "I woke up rotting in a cell, and now I'm spinning in a forest." Kinsley whistled in agreement, playfully banging onto Octavia's shoulder. Seemingly, they had gotten close over the time it was taking to get to Mount Weather. Having similar characteristics in their personalities made them drawn to each other as friends.

Monty shrugged, suggesting ideas to answer Finn's question, coming up with how the Ark could have possibly found an old satellite. Yet, Clarke was quick to shut the idea down, speaking confidently. "It wasn't a satellite. The Ark is dying." A frown contorted on everyone's face as they stopped in their tracks whilst Clarke took the lead, beginning to explain. "With the current population, there are roughly three months left of life support. Maybe four now that we're gone."

Finn was the first to snap out of his shock, bombarding the blonde with questions. "So that was the secret they locked you up to keep?" Quinn raised her brows at how blunt Finn was with his questions. "Why they kept you in solidarity? Floated your old man?" Kinsley also noticed how straightforward Finn was being, slapping him harshly on the back, directing a glare his way.

If Clarke cared about the questions being thrown her way, she made sure to keep it hidden. "My father was the engineer who discovered the flaw. He thought the people had a right to know. The council disagreed. My mother disagreed. They were afraid it would cause a panic. We were going to go public anyways when Wells ..." Clarke drifted off, whilst Monty frowned, adding how he turned in Clarke's father, causing him to get floated.

Quinn's mind pondered on one thought though. "So, those patients," she started, glancing at Clarke, "they were suffering from hypoxia?" Whilst Clarke nodded her head knowingly, the others didn't know what hypoxia was, never having studied in the medical department. "Hypoxia is when your body doesn't get enough oxygen, having low levels in your body tissue. So many people would come to my mom or Clarke's with it, but I didn't know what it was. Their symptoms would be shortness of breath, headaches, confusion—sometimes they forget where they were, or who they arethey could also be losing their abilities in a sense like sight, slowly going blind."