[3] y/n l/n

<same day - 1:01 pm>

"I hope Teddy got home safely..." I worried. My eyes turned to look out the window, watching as the droplets of rain cascaded.

"Don't worry too much, I'm sure Sanzu took her home." Ran reassured, stopping the car when we hit a red light. The car was silent, Reina was fast asleep after eating so much at that all-you-can-eat place.

I smiled at her sleeping reflection, she looked so comfortable despite being only such a thin blanket to cover her.

I was about to reach and fix the blanket when Ran suddenly started the car at such high speeds that I almost doubled over had it not been the seat belt I was wearing.

The sudden burst of speed unfortunately caused Reina to wake up from her short nap. She looked frightened, tears forming in her eyes. I didn't know what to do since I don't have any experience.

"Get Reina and keep her safe." Ran gritted out, his hands gripping the steering before he hastily reached for his phone. I did what he told me to do, I reached for the crying toddler and hugged her, looking at Ran worried.

"What happened? Why are you suddenly speeding?-"

"Quiet." I heard him growl, chucking his phone to my side before suddenly leaning down to reach for something underneath his seat. I watched as he placed the car on autopilot, before lowering the window on his side.

"Cover Reina's ears and eyes," My body was beyond afraid, watching Ran pull out a gun from underneath the car seat before starting to shoot behind us.

I tightened my eyes, hugging Reina tightly before I caught sight of the side mirror.

A matte black car was behind us and I could see a person start to come out of the window before starting to shoot bullets. One manged to shatter the mirror causing the small child to flinch when she heard the muffled smash.

"Take my phone and call my brother, Y/n!" Ran shouted, still shooting. I glanced back to him before resisting the urge to go to him and check on the bleeding wound he had on his cheek. "Hurry! Damn it!"

Scurrying to unlock his phone, I tapped the same password he told me from years ago. It was a long shot, but to my surprise, he still kept the same password from before.

I shook my head out of my thoughts, remembering the current situation. Ran shooting bullets, Reina crying and holding tight on to me, the people chasing after us. I shouldn't be reminiscing right now.

The phone continued to ring, it felt like an eternity.

"Momma?" I looked down, seeing Reina looked at me with teary eyes. Her lavender eyes were bloodshot. The sound of bullets firing, shouts from the passing people, the police sirens, the heavy rain, I tried to tone them down. I tried to calm myself down.

"Don't worry sweetie, we'll be okay. This is just a nightmare. Don't worry. Go back to sleep, when you wake up everything will be fine." I tried to reassure both her and me.

I tried, but it wasn't working. This was clearly reality and I don't know what will happen to us. But what I sure as damn hell know, is that I need to protect Reina.

Whether I'm her real mother or not, even if I'm not experienced, I at least know that I should protect her. A child isn't supposed to experience these.

"What? Why do you keep calling, Ran?" I heard Rindo's irritated voice through the phone. I was about to say something when he cut me off. "Why are there bullets? Ran is everything okay?! Hey!"

"Yeah, everything is fine Rindo! Of course it isn't, damn it! Y/n, send them our location! I'm running out of bullets and the roads too slippery, I need to man the wheel!" Ran shouted out, veins popping on his face as blood continued to drip from his wounds.

"Shit. I'll contact Sanzu! Don't die, damn it!" Rindo clicked off the call. Ran hastily went back in the car, closing the window before manually driving the car once again.

"I'm not that easy to kill," His eyes were dilated, his eyebrows knotted while his teeth churned against each other. "How's Reina?"

"I manged to get her to sleep again, but..." I watched as tears continued to flow from her eyes, her body trembling. Her hand was gripping my shirt tightly. "She's in shock. She won't stop crying and trembling..."

"Don't repeat, please... Don't repeat, I'm begging..." Ran's voice went silent. I turned to him before seeing mountains of tears flowing from his eyes, his grip on the steering wheel was so tight that it's cause his knuckles to turn white.

He kept repeating his sentences like he was in a trance, the car just continuing to speed up, the bullets were unrelenting while the rain continued to pour down harshly.

I could feel a sense of dread overwhelm me. I had never seen Ran cry so much, much less when we were younger. He'd always play the tough guy act despite always wanting to just let his feeling out but he was stubborn.

Seeing Ran cry like this, it shocked me. It shocked me and made me realize that I actually don't know Ran so much than I thought I did. He's changed, everything that I know about him from the past is useless now.

"Ran..."

"Akari." His voice growled out.