Chapter 16

"Miss Potter?" A Scottish accent filled the awful silence. Lyra froze and looked at Sirius. His face gave her enough of a hint.

"Crap." She whispered as she turned to face Professor McGonagall.

Lyra was screwed, the look on Minerva's face showed that she had heard everything. Honestly, Lyra wanted to play dumb. Act like she didn't know Minerva was there. So that's what she did.

"Heyyy, it's Minnie. How much of that did you hear?" Lyra says with false obliviousness.

"Everything. My office, now. You two as well." She says sternly.

Well, they were in big trouble now. Lyra was panicking, she'd have to explain the lie. And the burn. And the threats. This isn't good.

It felt like it had been hours by the time they reached McGonagall's office. She made them all sit in front of her desk. Folding her hands over each other, she looked at the three of them over her glasses.

"Well, would someone care to explain the scenario that I interrupted." She said as she pointed her gaze at Lyra.

Lyra wasn't sure but she thought she could sense distress in her voice? McGonagall was worried.

Lyra looked at Sirius, realising that she would have to tell the truth about the attack on James. Sirius just nodded. They'd deal with James later, together.

"Where do you want me to start?" Lyra asked with a nervous laugh.

McGonagall looked at her with a firm look.

"From the lie you so masterfully made me believe." She stated sternly.

Lyra took a deep breath and started to explain the situation and how James had gone to attack first but Regulus got there first. She then went on to where the three Slytherins threatened violence on her.

Finally she got to the point where Snape had put a long lasting curse on her.

"The Ardere curse. Leaves me with a burn that stings and will stop for five minutes before stinging again. There's no antidote, I just have to wait it out but it keeps getting worse." She says with a small smile.

"Believe me when I say this Miss Potter. You have deceived me just to protect your brother. You failed to report threats to a member of authority." McGonagall says slowly.

Lyra looked at her feet. She was in so much trouble. She hadn't gone to a teacher to report the incidents because she was too scared. Snape had plans and she thought no one would believe her.

"However, that doesn't mean I don't believe you. Mr Snape, Malfoy and Black will all be dealt with. But that also doesn't mean you will be escaping detention Miss Potter. You, Mr Potter and Mr Black will be serving detention with me for two days." McGonagall says with a small smile.

After being excused from her office, Lyra, Sirius and Lily all walk back to the common room. Lyra had a small smile on her face as she walked back with them.

"James is going to murder us, isn't he." She says with a laugh.

"Be prepared to run. He won't take it easy." Sirius says, matching her smile.

They enter the common room, all three of them laughing and smiling. James, Remus, Marlene and Dorcas are all sat together. Marlene and Dorcas are holding hands secretly.

"You know if you want to keep your relationship a secret, I wouldn't hold hands in public." Sirius murmurs to them as he walks past to stand next to the fireplace.

"What are you two standing up for?" James asks seeing Lyra and Sirius standing.

"Because we're getting ready to run." Sirius says simply.

"Why....?" James says slowly.

"We told Minnie the truth about what happened in the Great Hall." Lyra said cautiously as Sirius stands next to her ready to grab her good wrist.

"You what?!" James shouts.

"Run!" Sirius shouts as he grabs Lyra's wrist and runs out of the common room.

They had an advantage, James was sat down so it took him longer to get up. Lyra and Sirius ran until they were out of breath. Hiding in a passageway, they listened out for James.

"What is this place?" Lyra asked in a whisper.

"I call it the one-eyed witch passageway. It leads straight into the Honeydukes cellar. The others don't know yet, I was planning on adding it to the map later." Sirius whispers in an excited explanation.

"Sneaky Black, very sneaky." Lyra smiles.

The one downside to this passage was that it was very slim, meaning there was only a space the size of a small apple between Lyra and Sirius. The latter of the two stood on his tip-toes looking out of the statues eye for James.

"I think we're safe, I don't hear h-" Sirius started as he turned to face her.

When he turned to look at her, he suddenly realised how cramped the space was. Clearing his throat, he pushed open the passage and stepped out, Lyra following.

"That is going to be a note. 'Single file down the passage as too cramped'." Sirius joked.

The tension was a bit too high between the two of them and they walked back in silence. Luckily James didn't murder them when they got back.