03 | The Referendum

Everything's a blur when you're going fast. The folks always look amazed when I do something they can't. They often ask me about my ecocar, but I don't drive one. I ride. No more cool surprises on the road. I pondered on all that went down - it was a stroke of luck for some folks near my ecocity.

Riding towards my ecocity over the green fields, I could see them standing next to their vehicle along the dirt road dipped downwards along. The sun was too bright and the headlights, like fish eyes, outlined their silver vehicle. It silhouetted them as they waved at me.

Both my caregivers always have been there for me, a quiet song of maternal affection. As I blossomed, their teachings became the map leading me through the maze of life. My existence was no miracle, but a fruit of their effort and love — created from them each drop of DNA and nurtured in an artificial womb until they could hold me in their arms.

As I shift gears down closer to my caregivers, a shiver ran down my spine. They nodded at me with stern faces, their arms still crossed. Their expressions were as solid as a stone wall and my first instinct was to enquiry about the cause of their unwelcoming demeanour. "Greetings," my pulse picking up, a slight tremor in my voice, "I was just practising the craft of piloting." My paltry attempt at a smile did little to lighten the atmosphere, and their unfaltering stares rested on me from the ecocar windows.

They definitely saw my worried face, 'cause when I pulled up, they let out a fat sigh before spilling' the beans.

"Mari, where were you? I know you didn't get lost, and what happened to you car!?" said Joanne in a tone that was stern and concerned. So, my ride got messed up real bad, with dinged sides, a missing mirror, just minor scratches, right?

"Hey, I'm really sorry for making you both wait for so long, I was out–" trying to explain.

"..."

I was without a hint of an apology or explanation. Despite their warmth greetings, they looked into my face, at my ecocar, searching for answers. I couldn't blame them. They were always supportive of my past racing career. My natural sparkle for speed let me zip across our lush forested roads with ease. Each race was a thrilling dance with freedom, an intoxicating waltz I never wanted to end, but there seemed to be something else weighing on their minds today, I shouldn't be grumpy and on guard.

"But I thought you guys said that if I kept my occupation at the mechanic facility, then I could go racing again," I retort, trying to convince myself.

"Honey, we have explained that to you, maybe at the next service cycle. We can re-discuss this later, let's go," Ada, nearer to me, said.

I turn my head and stare at the farthest mom; she is trying to avoid eye contact with me, any further discussion will be futile.

When they get mad, they start to sound similar to each other. I have hurt our trust again.

Then Ada stretches both hands, reaching towards my shoulders, "Mari, pay attention to what I say," her words brought me back. "I know how much passion you have for racing, but we all under New Eden's protocols, you hit your entertainment service time, you need to rotate to another related service. Please, understand our situation."

I tilt my gaze towards the heavens. Is it really wonderful that they're so concerned about what's ahead of me? I can't compete in races anymore. My dream was always to be a pilot, to see every corner of the world, but I haven't reached the age to race against other districts.

Too old to be a pilot, too young to be free. I wish I could be mad at them for pulling me away from my fantasies, but it's tough to dislike people who believe in what I can become. I don't fancy being cooped up in some building; I just yearn to wanderlust.

"...to understand," I echoed. "I have come to understand that I need to make my societal progress and will strive to do so."

I sighed, slumping against my seat. I watched as clouds drifted by in the sky, tracing their shapes on the canopy with my finger.

Ada in front of me, leaned forward and asked, "Were you there solving problems that worry our residents?"

"...i don't think so." Joanne, at furthest, said before me.

A frown creased my forehead, and I said, "Not really."

I crossed my arms over my chest. "The only thing I can think of lately is this open referendum," I replied with a tense smile.

The furthest caregiver lit up, "The Conductor open referendum result is at us in the very next week, Mari! We could vote to whoever we see fit the position."

"Everyone is very excited about this change, it is been more than sixty years since our last, and it's about time that we can choose our own," she concluded with a flourish.

It's not just a title; it's a life sentence.

"Thank you, but no, thanks" I said with a growing grin, "I'd be very honoured to not."

Reaching out my arms, I embraced my caregiver, who was leaning out from the window of the driver's side door.

"So, on to the plaza then?" She cheered me up.

"Let's get this show on the road," I chuckled with an impish smirk.

The engine purred to life as I turned the key and pumped the accelerator, then drove a route along the road leading to the ecocity.

We drove by organic orchards, where folks admired the plants, hands on hips. They'd look at the sun with peace, sighing contentedly as the scent of earth surrounded them. It was like incense was burning. I leaned back in my seat, hitched up my trousers, and unfastened them. I let the autopilot follow my caregivers.

We still had more to talk about.