07 | At the Plaza

It's been a week since that weird incident with the mystery vehicle. The driver, a link to the world outside our ecocity, remains a mystery. This unsolved puzzle nags at me, reminding me of what I can't reach. Lately, I've been aimlessly driving my ecocar around Harmony Plaza. Each parking space seems to hint at life beyond our city.

"AI, can you park yourself? I'll leave here."

"For sure. Leave it to me." AI replied, stopped my vehicle and opened the door.

My shoes hit the pavement with a thud, and a vertical billboard on the sidewalk showed the message: "Environmental science with no thought for humanity is gardening." The display flickered in an array of colours and angles that resembled the surrounding cityscape; another message to beware us in the Old Way of Living.

A bold sign screamed, "Free Markets: The Path to Plunder". It was New Eden's oldest mantra against the Old Way of Living's self-sacrifice for survival. An absurd concept, hard to fathom. Who'd choose such a life? The sign continued, "Forget labour. Embrace New Eden's gifts: leisure, unity, sustenance, culture, health and immediate medical aid." In the old days, they called Sundays utopia.

Every table, same talk: the Council's latest spiel on right and wrong. Maddening. If they wanted us to ditch our past behaviours, they should have buried it. But maybe that's just me; others seemed to lap it up.

I reached Ada and Joanne; they exchanged a knowing glance as they looked at me.

"Since when were you avoiding coming to the plaza with us?" Joanne asked.

I sighed, my brows pull together and down. "um.. I didn't, I was, busy..." I replied.

The Harmony Plaza, our ecocity's heart, was always buzzing. Crowds filled the streets daily, mingling or taking part in activities. From concerts to art exhibits and food stalls, there was constant action. Ada, Joanne, and I were due for a plaza visit. As we walked around, distant guitar chords reached us. A small crowd enjoyed the music while laughter filled the air. It seemed everyone was having fun.

Joanne shook her head in mock disbelief. "See, I told you she was avoiding us!"

"Jojo, I don't think Mari was sidestepping, she probably just forgot about it like we sometimes do."

Joanne laughed and poked me in the side playfully. "Let me tease her a little bit!"

Directly in front of us, a delightful rhythm and grace seized our focus. Some dancers twirled harmoniously, their bodies remembering age-old steps, while others traced delicate patterns in the air with their imaginative, freestyle movements. The energy they radiated was contagious, illuminating bystanders' faces with smiles as warm and bright as sunshine while they soaked up the enchanting spectacle.

We continued walking and admiring the sights around until Ada brought up a topic that caught my attention: "Can you believe it, sweetheart? The last soul clinging to the old ways of life was finally laid to outside our ecocity."

They what?

"Those sly foxes. Many folks around still didn't had decent outhouses, yet they were quick to cobble together newfangled business ventures, aiming to profit off the wants and whims of common people." Ada added.

The words hit me hard, making me realise how much life had changed since New Eden began. I guess they figure different priorities rather than they helping with plumbing and sanitation.

Under the sun's generous powered solar rays, a collection of stalls sparkled. They were like little treasure chests, with eco-friendly delights and earth-loving drinks for everyone. Little ones scampered around, hands filled with desserts cooled by the sun itself, while adults chatted over cups of herbal tea brewed from plants nurtured by locals.