14 | Culling of the Fold

I read "3405" while holding this fancy key card. It has this holographic emblem, like some cool symbol, that dances with colours when I move it around. My hand shakes as I slide it over the lift's access panel. The doors close and a little jolt as the elevator starts going up. This place differs from what I was used to, but here I am, being treated like a VIP.

I mutter to myself, "Just take a deep breath, Mari," trying to calm down the mix of excitement and guilt in my gut. I can't stop myself from looking at the elevator screen, it's got this ad for a necklace. Its modern design reminds me of my days at my ecocity, all even lines and geometric shapes. At the end of the reel, a price tag flashes: ¤100K.

Put your energy into getting back on the track.

As the lift comes to a gentle stop, my key card emits a soft beep, and the doors slide open to reveal room 3405. The place is like something from an old fiction, too grand to even guess how many tatami mats could fit in here. Giant windows show off the entire city - the Mixed Grid and beyond, all spread out till it meets the sky. It's a twinkling of lights with life as far as I can see. The city's vibes are through the glass, it's everywhere in the room.

"Wow." I crossed the room and plopped onto the plush king-size bed, letting out a satisfied sigh as I sank into the pile of pillows.

The soft hum of a floating table draws my attention, and I can't help but grin as it approaches. An enticing assortment of snacks and drinks projected, interesting, all inspired by the durian fruit I picked up at the street market earlier. It's a personal touch that both delights and unnerves me.

I choose for a small pastry and a drink, the table prints it in front of me. Biting into its flaky crust and savouring the sweet durian filling. Ceasing all movement with the delight, and I wash it down with a cool, sparkling beverage that has just a hint of the same exotic flavour. It's an odd combination, but one that I enjoy more than I thought I would.

"Umm, thanks," I murmur to the floating table. Raising my eyebrows and pressing my hands against my cheeks, this spread is ridiculous, like who really needs all this fancy stuff?

But I'm not here for the hospitality. I'm here to compete.

I ignore all the crazy emotions inside me as I jerk onto the comfy bed. The sight of Megalopolis outside my window is a persistent nudge that I'm here for a reason. This has to be worth it.

Wiping my hands on a napkin "One call," I swear, "one call and everything changes."

I fiddle my commlink and quickly located Andreas in my contact list. My finger hovers over, hesitating for a second. I went back a bit to check if I missed any messages or calls, but, um.. nothing.

This is my leap to take.

"Come on, Mari, don't be such a wimp," I scold myself. With a deep breath, I press the call button and wait for him to pick up.

"Ms. Sato, Mari!" His voice boomed through the device, and I had to hold it away. "Is the comfort of your room to your satisfaction?"

I looked around at the luxurious suite, still not quite used to the idea that it was mine for the night. "It's...different," I said, choosing my words. "But I like it."

Andreas tee-hee on the other end of the line. "Excellent! It warms my heart to hear your joy. Now, I presume you've reached a conclusion? There's just one slight snag..."

"..." Uh-oh. There's always a catch.

"You'll need to sign this responsibility, Akira asked me for... um, you'll have to renounce New Eden."

Phew, "Well, actually, I was on my way to renounce my so-Conductor role when we met halfway."

"I know. I meant, abandon the entirety of New Eden."