chapter101

"Can this be true?" Yuan Li asked again, his eyes burning with intensity.

After receiving a confirmation, Yuan Li could no longer contain his excitement. He stood up and paced back and forth in the hall before suddenly turning and saying, "Quick, bring the Grand General here!"

With such an opportunity presented before him, Yuan Li couldn't forgive himself if he didn't seize control of Bingzhou.

That is the province of Bingzhou, consisting of nine commanderies and ninety-one counties!

Bingzhou is vast but sparsely populated. It stretches eastward to Hengshan and Taihang Mountains, westward to the Yellow River, and to the north, it borders vast deserts and the Yin Mountains. The terrain is solid and rugged, making it easy to defend and difficult to attack. As a result, it has attracted numerous nomadic ethnic groups to migrate there. Like Youzhou, the population within Bingzhou is also diverse, with many ethnic groups residing there, and its border closely borders the Xiongnu, Xiqiang, and other minority tribes.

Due to the previous White Rice uprising and the disturbance caused by the Hu people, Liu Quan had gradually lost control of Bingzhou. Once Liu Quan fled, the foundation of Bingzhou fell into the hands of the Hu people and the rebel forces.

The force that scared Liu Quan away from Bingzhou was not the White Rice uprising, but the local rebel forces in Bingzhou—the Yellow Dragon Army.

The Yellow Dragon Army's stronghold was in the Taihang Mountains, and they frequently operated in Zhongshan, Changshan, and Shangdang. Just hearing their name indicated how audacious they were.

Originally, this rebel force had wreaked havoc in Yizhou but was defeated by Wu Shanshi. They fled to Bingzhou along the Taihang Mountains, and since Bingzhou Governor Liu Quan lacked the same capabilities as Wu Shanshi, he could only helplessly allow the Yellow Dragon Army to become increasingly arrogant.

If Yuan Li could take control of Bingzhou, he would have power over both Youzhou and Bingzhou. Although these two regions were not particularly wealthy, their vast territories alone were remarkable. Just Bingzhou alone was equivalent to the size of two Youzhou.

Chu Hechao quickly arrived, pushing open the door as he entered. Yuan Li eagerly grabbed him and closed the door, speaking in a hushed voice as if sharing a secret, "Governor Liu Quan has fled Bingzhou!"

Chu Hechao raised his hand to embrace Yuan Li and leisurely asked, "Liu Quan has fled?"

With hidden excitement, Yuan Li told him about the situation in Bingzhou.

Chu Hechao pondered for a moment, and after Yuan Li finished speaking, he grinned mischievously and said, "So, Bingzhou is now ownerless?"

Yuan Li nodded repeatedly, hinting, "What do you think..."

Seeing Yuan Li's expression, Chu Hechao knew what he wanted to say. Coincidentally, he was also very interested. No one could remain indifferent when faced with such an opportunity. He nodded, a gleam in his eyes, and chuckled, "Since it is ownerless, it's only natural for us to eliminate the rebels and occupy Bingzhou on behalf of the Emperor, isn't it?"

Yuan Li blinked meaningfully at him.

The two of them quickly reached an agreement. With Chu Hechao's approval, Yuan Li gained more confidence. He couldn't wait to take the battlefield and lead the troops into war, something he wasn't skilled at, but Chu Hechao was. He was almost impatient and asked, "When should we mobilize our forces?"

"No rush," Chu Hechao pinched the back of his neck. "Do we have enough supplies?"

"We do," Yuan Li affirmed firmly. "The quantity we stored previously is enough to sustain Youzhou for ten years. Even if all the refugees from the surrounding provinces flock to Youzhou, we can still endure for three years."