chapter 116

Chu Hechao initially wanted to play with Yuan Li a bit, but as soon as he heard Yuan Li's words, he felt a headache. He rubbed his forehead and asked helplessly, "What is the strategy of 'garrison farming'?"

Yuan Li earnestly explained, "The strategy of 'garrison farming' refers to reclaiming the deserted and ownerless farmland and recruiting refugees and soldiers organized into groups according to military formations. We provide them with land, seeds, oxen, and farming tools, and they cultivate and farm the land. The harvest is then divided between the state and the farmers in proportion. Currently, many powerful clans and aristocrats in Youzhou and Bingzhou have fled due to the wars, leaving us with plenty of ownerless land, making it suitable for implementing 'garrison farming.'"

Chu Hechao pondered for a moment and asked, "Isn't it similar to hiring tenant farmers?"

"More or less," Yuan Li thought for a moment, "but there is a distinction between military and civilian farming.' The civilian farming mainly focuses on farming and food production, while the military 'garrison farming' emphasizes defense and attack. During times of peace, they cultivate and harvest to sustain the military forces."

Chu Hechao pulled him to sit in a chair.

Yuan Li was an adult man, but his weight was not much for Chu Hechao. Chu Hechao embraced Yuan Li and kissed the back of his neck. "Good idea. This can also solve the problem of long-distance transportation of food."

"Itchy..." Yuan Li moved his neck forward, trying to avoid Chu Hechao's stubble. He looked back at Chu Hechao, displeased. "Your beard scratched me."

Chu Hechao raised an eyebrow and deliberately used his chin to scratch Yuan Li's neck.

Yuan Li hopped off his lap and asked Lin Tian to bring water and a knife; he wanted to shave Chu Hechao's beard.

The tools were quickly prepared, and Chu Hechao lazily sat in the chair, tilting his head back, enjoying the attention from his wife.

Yuan Li placed a towel on Chu Hechao's chin and jokingly threatened, "Don't move, or I might accidentally cut you."

Chu Hechao didn't dare to move, fearing that Yuan Li's hand might tremble and ruin his handsome face.

While shaving his beard, Yuan Li continued, "For 'garrison farming,' we will provide land, farming tools, oxen, and seeds to the settlers. The harvest will be shared, with 60% going to the government and the remaining 40% retained by the farmers. If the farmers use their private oxen for farming, they can keep 50% of the harvest for themselves. What do you think?"

Chu Hechao moved his lips and said, "Good. Recruiting settlers for 'garrison farming,' will it be voluntary or compulsory... ouch."

Yuan Li, annoyed, picked up the knife again, looking at the shallow cut on Chu Hechao's well-defined jawline. Innocently, he said, "Didn't I tell you not to move?"

Chu Hechao's brow furrowed as he spoke slowly, "It was you who asked me a question."

Feeling guilty, Yuan Li remained silent, just blinking at him.

Chu Hechao knew that Yuan Li was pretending, and he found it amusing and infuriating at the same time. Others regarded Yuan Li as a composed and witty gentleman with a strong sense of righteousness. Whatever he said or did always seemed profound. But with Chu Hechao, Yuan Li acted mischievously and playfully.

Smiling inwardly, Chu Hechao pretended to be angry, "Still pretending?"

Yuan Li pursed his lips, "And you are being fierce to me again."

Chu Hechao remained silent, unable to retort as he couldn't help but laugh, pulling him over and reasoning, "You scratched my chin, and I can't even scold you? Yuan Le Jun, let's talk about right and wrong."