my birthday is ruined || LILY

smells like teen spirit - nirvana

FOUR years.

It had been four years since I had been exposed to the world of the gods, and the chaos that came with it.

It had been four years since my mother had been killed.

After I had left the house in a sprint, my mother had attempted to stall the monster, or so I assume. Eventually, the thing caught up to me, a bloodied piece of Moms blouse hanging off of its antler. I used the sword she had left me with, and somehow managed to slay the beast.

I had thought I was doomed when it had cornered me on an empty street a few blocks from my house, but with one swing from the sword my mom had given me, it was gone.

Since that day, I had been on the run. Philadelphia had never seemed more dangerous. My mother had been right when she had told me "they would come for me". As soon as I had read through the journal she had left behind for me, more and more monsters came after me.

I learned that I was more skilled with the daggers than the sword, particularly while throwing them. I also learned that if I stood still enough, the monsters (although could usually sniff me out) seemed to walk by, as though I was invisible.

Staying in one place for more than a few days was never a good idea. The monsters could smell my blood. My half-godly blood. I had made it as far as New York City, but soon realized it was worse than my hometown.

It was my seventeenth birthday, and I had decided to wait until night had fallen in order to celebrate. There were a few stores nearby that I had been scoping out, that seemed to sell some pretty decent birthday cakes. At least, decent enough for a homeless teenage girl fighting for her life everyday.

For the time being, I was taking refuge in a small compartment I had found hidden behind a dumpster in an alleyway. I assumed some bum had occupied the space before. It was disguised as nothing more than a garbage chute, but upon further inspection I had found out its true nature.  It was stocked with a few extra articles of clothing, some non-perishable's, and some sleeping bags. Safe to say I had taken full advantage of the space.

I pulled the sleeve of my jacket up my arm, shining a flashlight on my wristwatch. It was a little past 11, which meant most of the small bakeries would be closed. I tied my hair back into a ponytail and flicked my hoodie up over my head before climbing out of the small room. The city traffic was still in full swing, but with the amount of crime I had seen since arriving, I assumed I would go unnoticed.

The past three birthdays had gone by uncelebrated, mostly due to the fact that it shared the day with Moms death anniversary. This year, however, I decided to change it up. I was a year off from being an adult, and I knew my Mom wouldn't want me to sit and sulk like I did the previous years.

As I suspected, the lights in the small bakery I had been watching were completely out. I didn't know if they would throw out their inventory at the end of each day, but I hoped they had left something behind.