Chapter 19

Playlist

Playlist.
This chapter doesn't have one. Sorry.

"Is it just me or do you seem really close with the fashion designer?" Aida asks as I walk past her. I pause in my tracks, turning back to look at her, my heart skipping a beat at her question. I had been so deep in my thoughts, I hadn't noticed her at all in the hallways. Her back is still turned to me, but she slowly turns toward me, and I can feel my stomach tie itself into knots when I see the knowing look in her eyes even as her face remains unreadable. It immediately makes me sick, and a groan escapes my lips before I get the chance to stop it.

"What do you mean?" I ask, hating the way my voice sounds defensive.

"You know exactly what I mean," she insists, her eyes flicking towards the garden where Sophie still was, lost in her own world. My heart skips a beat at the mention of her name, and I feel a sudden tension coil in my chest, my palms growing clammy with sweat. "The two of you spend quite a bit of time together," she adds, crossing her arms.

"I do not know what you're talking about," I say firmly, leveling her glare with one of mine. "Sophie is just an acquaintance, nothing more. Is it wrong to have that?"

Aida chuckles, a knowing glint in her eyes before shaking her head afterward. In between that chuckle, I suspect, is a sigh. She pins me with another withering look, taking another step toward me. "You can fool everyone else in the castle, Marcus, but you can't fool me. I've seen the way you look at her when you think no one is noticing," she says, and my heart skips a beat, my stomach dropping to the bottom of my shoes. "And I'm surprised no one else has noticed yet," she adds, clicking her teeth.

She has!? Since when? A barrage of questions tries to make it past my throat as my panic intensifies, but I only maintain a stoic expression, my lips pressed into a thin line. "Where are you going with this, Aida? Is there something you hope to achieve with it?" I prod her instead, not letting any more emotions slip into my voice. Though a part of me wants to admit it, I'm not close with Aida, and I don't know if it would be used against me. Taking several steps towards me, she stops directly in front of me, her eyes narrowing.

"Marcus, is she the other woman?" she suddenly asks, and if not because I was being so careful, the question would have thrown me off. I take a deep breath, speaking as calmly as I can. "She's nothing to me. Just a friend. I'm sure you can understand that."

Aida smiles but doesn't look too convinced. "You're playing a dangerous game, Marcus. One that is going to get you seriously hurt if you continue down this path," she warns, and I feel my temper start to rise. "Believe me, I tried. It did not end well."

"How many times am I going to repeat this!?" I groan, exasperated. "I don't have anything with her. Is that too hard to understand?"

Only then does she give up. "Okay, if you insist. I've given you my two cents. It's up to you to take it," she says, her gaze lingering on me. We hear footsteps approaching, and when we turn to look at who it is, it's her husband.

"There you are, I've been looking all over for you," he says as he approaches us, a relieved expression on his face. Sensing the strange tension between us, he exchanges glances between us, a confused expression on his face. "Is everything alright here?" he asks, his steps slowing to stop.

"That's none of your business," I growl back, my anger getting the best of me.

"I'll be leaving first," Aida says, stopping me from speaking any further. With one final glance at me, she walks ahead, leaving her husband to follow after her. After a while, she stops and turns back to me. "You can't change your fate. So, don't bother trying. A word of advice," she quips and keeps walking till she's out of sight, her husband not far behind her.

I stand there moments after she has disappeared, her words settling on me like a heavy blanket. Balling my fingers into fists, I let out a scoff, striding heavily to my room, the only sound the echo of my footsteps against the marble floors, feeling angry for no apparent reason.

For the next few hours, I lay in bed, my face buried in my hands, thinking about everything Aida said to me moments ago. My sour mood only worsens, and it feels like I'm losing all over again. If she has cottoned on to what's going on in such a short time, it's only a matter of time before other people do, and things get blown out of proportion. I know I should be more careful, but what does that mean for me right now?

Does that mean I have to stay away from Sophie from now onwards? I groan, the thought causing bile to rise up in my throat. I don't think I can do that. Running a hand through my hair, I sit up, still deep in worry. This is really messy.

I check the time, remembering my promise of taking Sophie out tonight. At this point, it's only sensible that I cancel it. I can't afford to rouse any more suspicions. I pick up my phone, planning to text her, but my fingers hover on the keypad, and I'm torn on what to type.

Clenching my teeth, I toss the phone aside instead, my frustration reaching its tipping point. So what?! Just because something similar happened to Aida doesn't mean the same will go for me. I'll just have to be extra careful. I need to see Sophie. It's as important as breathing right now.

Standing to my feet, walking towards the window to see if the lights in her work studio. They are, which means she's definitely in her room right now. My resolve hardens, and from the reflection in the window, I can see the determined look on my face. Consequences be damned, I'm seeing Sophie tonight.

Sophie, here I come.

****
We love a delusional man.
The last sentence made me cringe by the way.
I hope you enjoyed reading!
See you in the next one!