Roku

"Be strong minded like your mother."

"Unbreakable like me."

"Adaptable like water."

Those words echoed throughout your mind. Etching those words into your very being.

It had been 2 weeks on this ship, and life on a ship was different.

Way different.

For one, you were confined to a single room. A small room. You barely had enough room to stretch. Let alone lay around comfortably. The heated metal walls made you feel uncomfortable.

Especially because the humidity here was at an all-time low. You were used to feeling the cold sea breeze. The cold air from the snow and ice. All of it made up the world you lived in.

Not this metal death trap.

Another thing was the fact that you were now confined to a single room. The little room that you were now in.

The room you were in had been somewhat comfortable at one point. Having an entire table and cushion at one point. Instead, all that was in the room was your bed roll.

All because of one single comment.

It was a comment directed towards the questionable planning from Zuko. The Village of Tó'sikaaz was on the eastern part of the Southern Water Tribe's Territory.

The great crown prince Zuko's entire goal was to find the Avatar. A 112 year old man. You merely questioned the logic of his area of search.

It was a week back in the prince's map room.

"Sir, our next area to search will be the farthest southern point, sir." The ship's captain lieutenant Jee stated, pointing to the farthest south point on the south pole.

"We will continue to wrap around and investigate each coast then." Zuko stated, circling around the South Pole.

Iroh sat at the side, playing pai sho with another crew member. You sat in the corner, watching the prince plan. A small laugh escaped your lips as you overheard their planning.

The pair turned their head towards you. Zuko's eyes twitching with annoyance.

"Do you have a problem with that?" He questioned.

"No, well, why would you search in an area that was far from the last place he was known to be in?"

"What are you talking about?" Zuko questioned.

"I mean, considering that this 112-year-old man disappeared from the Southern Air Temple. Would be on the northern side of the south pole." You explained, pointing to the northern part.

"We already explored that area. That's why we sieged your village." Zuko stated, rising to his feet.

"Well, if he wasn't there, I don't know why he'd be on the other side of the south pole. A place far from where he is from." You retorted also rising to your feet.

"Who do you think you are trying to command my ship?" Zuko angrily questioned.

"I wouldn't call this hunk of metal a ship even if I had never seen a ship before. It's clear that you don't even know what you're doing." You replied.

This sent the anger in Zuko's mind overboard.

"You don't know what you're talking about! You should be honored to serve the Fire Nation, let alone the Prince of the Fire Nation!" He exclaimed.

"It is thanks to my patience that you and your little village still exist! Don't test my patience, or else I'll make sure that you and all you hold dear perish." Zuko commanded, quickly looming over you with an aura of power.

You felt an argument bubble up inside your throat, but you pushed it down. He was right. If not for him, the village would be gone. Dad, Akai, Kuru, Kara, Grams...

You swallowed your rebuttal, looking down to the floor.

"S-sorry." You gritted.

"Take everything but his bed away from his room. Keep him confined there unless we need him." Zuko ordered, looking away from you.

And that's what led you here. A small room with no form of water around you. The warm and heated walls and floor irritated your senses. The smell of smoke and flame filled the halls of the ship. It was especially gaseous here in your little room.

An irritated sigh escaped your lips as you looked down to your mother's necklace. You pinched at the red Fire Nation tassles.

"Mom always said the Fire Nation People's passion was the greatest of the four. She never talked about the pride that comes from it." You muttered, holding the necklace close to your heart.

You kept yourself from crying. Wiping your watery eyes as the memories of home flooded into you. Here, you couldn't even practice your water bending forms. The room was too small. Here, you couldn't keep up with the Water Tribe rituals you learned. It was all so confining.

A knock at the door signaled a change in the atmosphere around you. Like thunder ripping through a quiet evening.

"May I come in?" Iroh questioned.

"S-sure." You answered, preparing yourself for an attack. Rising to your feet and squaring your form.

The metal door slid open, and the friendly elder Iroh poked his head in and smiled.

"Hello again, I just wanted to ask if you wanted to join me in a game of Pai Sho." The man questioned, smiling.

The man's demeanor caught you off guard. The friendly demeanor juxtaposed his angry nephew's. Your stance eased, and you smiled gently.

"Sure."

#893

#893