Chapter 10 Feast

Jie awoke to the scent of roasted meat. Her stomach growled. Her body felt like a wrung-out dishrag and her bones ached.

She rubbed her eyes and sat up. It still felt unbelievable that she could do that now.

Ming sat coiled up like a snake, slowly turning a massive boar over a spit. "Evening, sleepyhead," he said, "you hungry?"

The flames licked the sizzling meat, and the mouthwatering aroma made Jie's tummy rumble again.

Ming chuckled. "I'll take that as a yes. Don't worry, it shouldn't be long now," he said.

He cooked it for a few more minutes before he sliced off a haunch with one of his claws and offered it to her.

Jie stared at the enormous haunch with wide eyes. It was bigger than she was!

"Oh... wait," Ming said. He cut it into smaller pieces and handed one of them to her.

It was still bigger than her head, but at least it looked like it wouldn't crush her beneath it.

She took it, juggling it slightly between her hands as it burned her fingers. The meat was crispy and slightly charred in places, but it smelled delicious. She hadn't had a proper meal for the last few years and her mouth watered.

"Well?" Ming asked, "What are you waiting for? Eat up. You'll have to train hard if we're going to get you strong enough in time. You'll need your strength."

Jie took a huge bite. As her teeth sank into the tender meat, the juices squirted out and filled her mouth with flavor.

She tore off a chunk like a savage beast and chewed it quickly before swallowing. Then she ripped off another mouthful... and another.... Until she'd devoured it all.

Ming handed her another chunk of glistening meat, and the process repeated itself until she lay back with her belly stuffed full of food and grease all over her hands and face.

She burped. "That was so good," she said.

Ming chuckled and picked up another haunch of meat bigger than she was. He opened his jaw wider than should be possible and bit down, engulfing the entire thing in one bite.

He pulled out a long strip of bone, with not a trace of meat remaining.

Then, he burped too.

Jie giggled.

The dragon paid her no mind and started picking his teeth with the enormous bone.

Jie patted her belly with one hand. "I think I have a food baby," she said with a giggle.

Ming froze. His makeshift toothpick dropped from his hand and clattered to the floor.

He turned to her, his eyes filled with horror.

"Is that how you reproduce in your world?" he whispered.

She burst out laughing. "You're silly," she said, "I just mean my tummy is so full!" She poked the bulge in her tummy from all the food for emphasis.

"Oh," Ming said with a heavy sigh of relief.

Jie laughed. "You didn't actually think that I--?"

"Ahem. Anyway, I'm impressed with your progress so far, but we should get you cleaned up a bit and then back to more cultivation for you," Ming said.

Jie covered her grin with one greasy hand.

He scowled at her. "You should clean up first, and I'll see if I have a change of clothes for you. Can't have you running around with your butt showing to the entire world," he said.