Chapter 25 The Satyr

She ran up to the eighth floor.

The second she stepped out onto the eighth floor, she reached out with her spirit sense and felt their auras. Most at the fourth star of the Adept rank. A few higher. A handful at the third star of the Adept rank.

At the first star of the Adept rank, Jie was the lowest ranked cultivator in the room.

And she didn't care.

A satyr girl approached Jie. She gave off an aura of the fourth star of the Adept rank. Though her aura was of a higher quality than most around her. She looked at least a few years older than Jie, though it was hard to tell since she wasn't exactly human. A pair of horns curved back over her wavy hair and a pair of goat legs showed below her elegant, light golden robes.

"Have you no shame?" asked the satyr girl, "this floor is for those of the fourth star of the Adept rank. You sully it by being here. Leave."

"I'm here to stabilize my cultivation in battles that actually challenge me. It's not my fault nothing on the floors below can do so," Jie said.

The girl's eyebrow twitched.

"So arrogant..." she said.

"Would you like to spar with me?" Jie asked, innocently.

The older girl scoffed. "As if you're worthy of facing me," she said.

As Jie looked at the girl, faced with her arrogant tone and the fact that Ming needed her to be stronger... no matter what. She threw aside her previous decision not to taunt anyone into sparring with her.

"I understand if you're afraid," Jie said sweetly, "another time maybe?"

All eyes were on them. The older girl looked at everyone around them and then back at Jie. She narrowed her eyes.

"Fine," she said, "but don't blame me when you get hurt."

Jie and the older girl leaped down into one of the sparring arenas.

"You never told me your name, by the way. I'm Liu Jie, and you are?" Jie said.

The older girl flicked her long hair back over her shoulder. "Pan Tian," she said, "but don't think I'll take it easy on you, brat. You need to learn your place."

Jie smiled and rotated her qi. Electricity crackled over her fingers. "That's what I'm hoping," she said.

Pan Tian shook her head. "We'll see what you say after my first attack," she said. She sounded somewhat regretful which surprised Jie for a moment.

Resplendent, pure white qi covered her fingernails and grew out from them into long talons of qi. She bent her goat legs as she cycled a technique of some kind.

Pan Tian launched herself forward with an incredible burst of speed. A shimmering wall of resplendent qi covered the front of her body as though she'd turned into a blazing white comet. She left a trail of glowing white qi in her wake as she rocketed toward Jie.

Jie's eyes widened and she leaped aside as fast as she could, getting out of the way of Pan Tian's charge skill.

But Pan Tian canceled the skill just as Jie thought she'd escaped. The older girl whirled on her, turning her body in mid-air as she swiped at Jie with her long, gleaming claws.

Jie leaned back, still moving through the air, as Pan Tian's claws stretched out toward her face.

Long glowing claws narrowly missed Jie's eye, one claw barely scratching the surface of Jie's cheek as the rest merely sent the breeze of their passing over Jie's skin. Jie gathered her qi around her fist, putting more power into the attack than usual as her opponent was so many stars above her and far swifter than the earthen constructs she'd fought before.