Chapter 11 Disciple

The days fell into a pattern after that. Jie cultivated and slept every time the explosions in her dantian knocked her out. And while she did so, Ming hunted and cooked food for the two of them.

A week passed like this.

Jie sat in the temple courtyard with Ming roasting their dinner over a spit once again, but she thought little of it.

She was busy in her dantian with another swirling storm of Essence. Just as she had before, she whirled it faster and faster and then stopped it all at once. It exploded inside her dantian, and she screamed.

But, she didn't pass out this time. Instead, she watched as another strand of flickering dragon lightning qi joined the rest in her dantian. It gathered together into a ball and flashed with a bright blue hue.

The sight blinded her spiritual eyes within her dantian, and she shielded her eyes from the dazzling light.

Gradually, the intense radiance settled down to a level a little higher than it was before the flash.

And there, in her dantian, was a tiny ball of crackling dragon lightning qi hovering in the air and chaotically twirling about.

Strength flooded through her body like waves of electricity, making her skin tingle as it washed over her.

Her whole body surged with energy. She wanted to run, to climb, to jump, to push herself to her limits and beyond!

Every fiber of her being begged to use her newfound power! It felt like an enormous surge compared to the normal increase in energy and strength she felt after cultivating.

"Well done!" Ming called out.

Jie opened her eyes and looked up at the dragon who towered over her.

"You just reached the first star of the Disciple rank! I'm impressed," Ming said, "your cultivation speed is incredible!"

"I thought a week was normal?" Jie said.

Ming sighed. "Didn't you listen when I told you before? It would be decent if you were refining qi of reasonable quality, but for dragon lightning qi it's downright exceptional," he said.

Jie smiled and puffed out her chest proudly. Wait... Was she becoming like the arrogant dragon? That was a concerning thought...

Ming patted her on the head softly. "Your talent is outstanding," he said.

She glowed from the compliments.

"So I'm now at the first star of the Disciple rank? That means it's eight more stars and then the Adept rank, right?" she asked.

Ming coiled up like a snake once more, in an almost meditative pose.

"Yes, that's correct. Although, just so you know, the ranks are sometimes called different things by different people. It's just a name after all. Some worlds have very strange names indeed, but their meaning is the same," he said.

"I feel... a lot stronger... is it always like this after breaking through?" Jie asked.

"Oh yes. It feels excellent does it not?" Ming said, "And the truth is you are much stronger. Each star is vastly more powerful than the one before it. And, with your extremely high-quality qi, you'll find that you could defeat cultivators of the second or even third star of the Disciple rank. Once I teach you how to fight and you learn some martial skills of course."

"So, I'm far more powerful than my cultivation would suggest?" Jie asked.

"Yes," Ming said, "though of course what I said depends on how well refined their qi is and how skilled they are. There will be a rare few in the universe who'll be able to match you... though I'm not sure how your new body will affect this... perhaps you'll be able to face off against those even further beyond you... but I wouldn't risk it unless you have no other choice.

"The difference between each star is massive. That's why it takes so much longer to reach each one. As such it's extremely dangerous to face opponents of a higher cultivation level. And the difference between ranks is even greater than the difference between stars!

"Someone at the ninth star of the Disciple rank would be badly outmatched against someone at even the first star of the Adept rank. The gap is just too big," Ming said.

"Be careful of anyone more than a few stars above me and even more careful of anyone a higher rank than me even if they're not that far ahead of me in terms of stars. I think I've got it," Jie said.

Ming nodded. "Of course, it always depends. There will be times when you may not have a choice... or may simply need to challenge yourself. But, in general, it's best to be cautious when such a disparity is involved," he said.

"If the difference between Disciple and Adept is so huge... what's the difference between someone at the lower dantian and someone at the middle dantian like?" Jie asked.

"The middle dantian is a whole other level from the lower dantian. If the gap between ranks is a leap, then the gap between the lower and middle dantian is a chasm! Do not ever fight someone a dantian above you. If one attacks you, then do whatever you can to escape. The gap is simply too large," Ming said.

"Is the gap so big because elemental affinities are that important?" Jie asked.

"No," Ming said, "elemental affinities are exceptionally powerful and important. But the raw power difference between the lower and middle dantian is massive even without the use of elemental affinities. And each star within the middle dantian takes far longer to reach and grants a greater boost to power than the ranks below it."

Jie gnawed thoughtfully on her thumb.

"Does that mean the difference between the upper and middle dantian is even bigger?" Jie asked.

"Yes," Ming said with a smile, "now you're catching on. If the difference between the lower and middle dantian is a chasm, then the difference between the middle and upper dantian is an impassable rift. Only those with spiritual energy of exceptional quality can break through into the upper dantian. And most never do. It isn't easy. Not only will cultivators of such a level be more powerful from their ranks alone, but their quality of cultivation will be vastly higher as well. Making them a force to be reckoned with."

"And you're above even them," Jie said, feeling somehow proud of that.

"I am," Ming said, "although my cultivation is badly damaged and I've lost a great deal of my strength..."

"I'm sorry you suffered so much," she said.

"Don't worry about it, kiddo," Ming said, "the path of a cultivator is filled with obstacles. This was just one of them. I need help to save this world, and I just hope you and I will be strong enough in time."

"But if it takes so long to advance and you weren't strong enough even when you were a god... what hope do I have?" Jie asked.

"I was a new god of a low rank," Ming said, "and perhaps we'll fail and die horribly for our efforts. But what else is there to do? Roll over and accept our fate? Allow Fang Zhuyu and his followers to dominate the universe?"

"No," Jie said, "I don't want that. I won't do that. It's just... I feel like I'm not doing enough... I'm trying as hard as I can, and it still took me a week to reach the first star... and I have so much further to go... I just... I can't help feeling like I need to be doing more than I am, but I don't know how."

Ming nodded. "You and I will have to reach as high as possible and then transcend what is possible to go even higher if we are to succeed. But do not despair. It will take Fang Zhuyu's followers some time to free him from his prison. It will not be easy, and perhaps we'll fall short of our goal. But there is hope, kiddo," he said, "Besides, where's the fun in reaching for what you're sure you can get? You'll never stretch yourself that way. And the universe needs our help."

Jie stared at the dusty tiles by her feet.

There was so far to go... so many stars... so many ranks and each one was harder than the last? How could it ever be possible to get strong enough in time?

But a never-ending journey of self-improvement... of always getting stronger... something about that spoke to her soul.

"You okay, kiddo?" Ming asked.

"Yeah," Jie said, "just thinking. I'll train hard. I won't let you down."

Ming smiled. "I'm glad to hear it, and tomorrow... I'll start teaching you how to fight!" he said.