Chapter 16 The Road

They reached a patch of forest and Jie slammed her fist into a tree. It struck with a loud thud, but the tree was supernaturally tough and remained intact.

"How can they even do something like that? How can anyone do something like that? I wanted to help them, and instead, they were just sick, selfish, evil people! I hate them! I hate everyone! Why are people like that? He even offered me the children! What the hell was with that?" Jie yelled.

"It's not uncommon for powerful cultivators to force themselves on weaker people. Male or female... they both do it. He must've thought you might be one," Ming said.

"They... what? Why? That's despicable!" Jie said.

"I never said it wasn't. Only those with no honor or morals would do so, but no world is without such people, and when people gain strength they reveal who they truly are. Do try to speak to me through the link I've made. Right now, you seem insane. Though there's nobody close enough to see you, it's wise to foster good habits," Ming said.

"I don't care about good habits! Those people are disgusting! I hate them all! Why won't anyone stop people like them? Why do bad people get to do bad things and nothing happens to them?" Jie asked. Tears ran down her snow-white cheeks.

Ming pulled her into a hug and stroked her hair as she sobbed against his scales.

"People are who they choose to be. It isn't your fault. And, just as there's evil, and evil people, so too is there good and good people. It is in the nature of good souls like yourself to despair at the existence of evil, and I urge you to remember that this is not your old world.

"You're not powerless here. And just as strength gives evil the ability to commit greater atrocities, so strength gives good the power to do greater acts of righteousness. In you, is the potential for incredible power, and it will be up to you how to use that power.

"One day, you could destroy all evil that you come across and make the universe a better and safer place. You don't have to be helpless ever again, and you aren't alone. I saw in your world how criminals are protected by the laws that should be persecuting them. But here, only strength matters. And, you will be the strongest of them all, kiddo," Ming said.

"I just wish people wouldn't be like that..." Jie said.

"All good souls do. If it makes you feel any better, Hell is real," Ming said with a toothy grin.

"You're joking?" Jie said.

"I'm not. Reincarnation, the Hells, and the Heavens are all real. Who knows, maybe our journey will take us there one day. They're all real places... well, not reincarnation though you do get reincarnated in a place... but you know what I mean," Ming said.

Jie giggled. "You can be really silly sometimes. Thank you," she said.

"No problem, kiddo," Ming said as he wiped the tears from her eyes, "Do you want me to go back there and teach them a lesson? I could kill them if you want."

"No! No... I don't want to be responsible for any more deaths. Let's just keep going... I'm sorry for being so weak and crying like this," Jie said.

Ming ruffled her hair. "This from the girl that had her body remade while she was still in it. Weak indeed. You just have a big heart is all. I should know, I helped make it," he said with a smile.

Jie smiled softly for a moment before a thought struck her and stole it from her lips. "What about the people I hit... especially that first one... is he going to be okay? I didn't... kill him did I?" she asked.