Chapter 20 The Crimson Vault

The Headmaster's smile grew. "I must say, I'm impressed. I'd never have thought someone at the ninth star of the Disciple rank could perform so well. Well done, very well done," he said.

"Why do you think Elder Kanev helped one of the applicants?" Jie asked.

The Headmaster looked stunned for a moment. "And sharp too. Not even ten years old, but already so observant... incredible. As for Elder Kanev helping a certain someone, well... I have my reasons. No doubt so do you, hmm? That bag must've been quite a find indeed. Too bad the young master of the Chen family managed to fail the trial despite it. How embarrassing.

"But, enough of such matters. They're not for you to concern yourself with. No, you have a bright future to focus on. Please, come with me," he said.

As Jie followed after the Headmaster, she couldn't help feeling that this world was so... alien.

She'd expected this school to be like the schools on Earth and for the Headmaster to be an elderly man or woman... at the very least middle-aged. Certainly not for him, and just about everyone else, to make fitness models on Earth look old and out of shape by comparison.

And that she had no way of knowing what his or anyone's true age was made it feel all the more peculiar. That and the fact a good deal of the people she'd seen so far weren't even human.

The aura the Headmaster gave off was profound as well. She sensed it was carefully restrained, but it was far more potent and mysterious than the auras of the elders.

Still like a raindrop compared to the profoundness of Ming's aura though.

The people in this world were so much... sharper. Like blades honed against the grindstone that was the harshness of life here.

Once more, Jie felt like she knew too little about this new environment.

The Headmaster led her across the fields at a steadily increasing pace.

Jie frowned. Was he trying to measure her speed? Why?

She intentionally stopped running faster and maintained a steady pace. Still far above the pace Elder Kanev had led them through the trials with, but well below her true speed.

She had Ming to protect her, but their real enemies were too powerful even for him to deal with. She'd stood out too much as it was.

The Headmaster raised an eyebrow at Jie's measured pace but said nothing. She wished she could've made herself sweat or something. As it was, it was obvious she was holding back, and she hated that.

They made it to the front of The Crimson Academy. The crowd was gone now, and not even a trace remained.

As much as Jie hated crowds, it felt somewhat ominous seeing it so... empty.

The journey up the hundreds of steps took quite some time even though their speed put cars to shame.

"Does everyone in your world make things in such a ridiculous manner? What's the point of all these stairs? What a waste of time," Jie said to Ming.

Ming chuckled. "Who doesn't like to impress others hmm? I saw in your world many live in buildings too tall for their weak legs to climb. You're just a cultivating monster. You should learn to enjoy life," he said.

"What is there to enjoy other than developing myself and fulfilling my blood pact?" Jie asked.

Ming shook his head. "Life isn't so bad, kiddo. You've gone through tough times, and they're far from the last you'll have, but there's good too. There's much to enjoy.