Chapter 23 Earthen Constructs

"Hey! Kid! This is a place for third star Adept rank cultivators. Go back where you belong before you get hurt," said a young man. He must've been about fifteen or so from what Jie could tell.

He sounded arrogant, but no more so than anyone she'd met so far.

"Thank you for your concern," Jie said, "would you spar with me?"

The young man's mouth fell open, and he stared at her.

Then, he burst out laughing.

"I'm not going to bully some kid two stars below me. Just go back down to the floors suited for you. Honestly!" said the young man as he walked away.

Jie looked around the room. Everyone who met her eyes snickered. Several nudged their friends and gestured her way, talking among themselves and laughing.

"I don't think anyone here will spar with you unless you taunt them first. Would you like some advice on what to say?" Ming asked.

"Taunt them? Why would I do that?" Jie asked.

"Anyone who fights someone so far beneath their cultivation will lose face win or lose. If they win, they'll be seen as a bully who can't fight those at their own strength. If they lose, they'll be a laughingstock. But, if you give them an excuse many will fight you. Then you can beat them. It'll be good experience," Ming said.

"What? I'm not going to go around being horrible to people just to get them to spar with me!" Jie said.

"Why not? That's a big part of why we're here. So you can spar and improve. So what if you ridicule them? It'll only make them fight you that much fiercer. It'll be good for you," Ming said.

Jie gritted her teeth. "I'm not going to do that," she said.

Ming sighed. "Fine. I suppose you could try out the construct areas. They look well made, though the design isn't what I'm used to. I'd still like it if you sparred with other cultivators though. You'd better enter whatever tournaments they have at least. Then, they'll have to fight you. It'll be great for you!"

Jie suppressed an aggravated sigh at Ming's words and walked over to one of the construct arenas.

The young man who'd spoken with her before shook his head and returned to his training.

Jie jumped down into the arena. Statues lined the walls, and a console rested on a pedestal in the center.

It had no buttons or dials. Just a lever and a large rune.

"How do I use this thing?" she asked.

"Hmm... I think you press your keystone on the rune there and pull the lever," Ming said.

Jie did as Ming said. The second she pulled the lever, the ring hummed and whirred all around her.

But, no construct came down to meet her.

She sighed and pulled the lever again. "Does this thing even work?" she muttered under her breath.

The console sank into the ground, and one of the statues bordering the ring came to life. Its eyes ignited with green flames, and it sprang off its platform and into the ring.

Jie smiled. "Finally!" she said.

The eyes of a second statue ignited, and it too leaped into the ring.

She stood facing two earthen constructs of the third star of the Adept rank.

"Hmm... it would seem that it takes a while to kick in... and you pull the lever for as many opponents as you want. Interesting," Ming said.