Unexpected Arrival

August 16,2007
Saitama,Japan

The scorching sun beat down relentlessly as you tended to your modest vegetable garden, sweat streaming down your forehead in rivulets. With a sigh, you removed your dirt-covered gloves, allowing your fingers to finally breathe, before hastily gathering your unruly hair into a makeshift bun. A few strands escaped, dancing in front of your eyes and obstructing your view of the cloudless sky. The distant sound of cicadas filled the air, their constant chirping providing a backdrop to the serene countryside.

"Dad, I miss you," you murmured, your voice barely audible over the rustle of the wind through the fields. Memories of your old village flooded your mind, the simplicity of life there. How you longed to turn back time, to erase the events of the past year. It had been twelve long months since you fled to this rural, secluded countryside village, seeking refuge from the aftermath of the incident.

Nanako and Mimiko... their names weighed heavily on your conscience, a constant reminder of the darkness that had torn our once peaceful community apart. Innocent in appearance, but apparently they were the catalysts of our downfall. When they committed the unthinkable, you became collateral damage, forced into hiding by the stares and threats of your neighbors. They believed you had a hand in the tragedy, fueled by your refusal to shun the twins like the rest.

"Maybe Dad was right," you reflected bitterly, regret gnawing at my thoughts. "I should have stayed away from those girls. I wouldn't be in this mess if I had." But then, their pleading eyes and silent cries for help echoed in the recesses of your soul. How could you have abandoned them when they needed you most? They deserved better, but you couldn't risk your own safety.

Shaking off the weight of your memories, you made your way to the familiar pump well nestled beside the weathered cottage farmhouse. With practiced ease, you grasped the handle and rhythmically pumped water into the waiting bucket below. Cupping your hands, you scooped up the cool liquid and brought it to your parched lips, relishing its refreshing taste. The remainder you splashed onto your flushed face, momentarily easing the heat that enveloped you.

As you stood there, enveloped by the sights and sounds of nature, your gaze drifted towards the small natural hot springs nestled beside the house. A bath would certainly be in order later, considering how sweaty you were today.

Turning your attention back to the dirt road, you noticed a tall figure approaching, cradling something in their arms. And what looks to be a small child trailed behind them, and a flicker of caution flared within you. With a subtle gesture, you ensured that your knife was securely strapped to your belt, a reminder of the dangers that lurked everywhere.

Despite the people of this village being fond of you, you remained cautious as you were located on the outskirts of the village. Although very safe, as it was such a small close-knit community, one could never be too careful. As the figures drew nearer, your apprehension grew. It was a tall man with inky jet-black hair tied in a sloppy bun, his weary countenance and blood-stained black attire setting off alarm bells in your mind. In his arms was a small child with brown hair that looked to be sleeping soundly, covered in dirt, while another girl with blond hair followed closely beside him, her appearance equally disheveled and malnourished.

You watched closely as they passed by you, getting a closer look as they walked. The blonde girl's eyes met yours, and a pang of familiarity washed over you. "Ms. Ame," she whispered, her voice tinged with hope, and in that moment, your heart skipped a beat.

"N-Nanako!" You gasped loudly, filled with shock as you hastened to run towards them, your arms outstretched to welcome her. But the man, his demeanor was protective and wary, shielded her from your approach, his stance defensive, like a lion protecting his cubs.