Hope & Second Chances

Two weeks had passed since Getou and the twins arrived at your home, and the tension between us had only slightly eased. While you were still very cautious, you came to trust him a little. You were grateful for the help he gave with chopping wood for the fireplace, and the repairs to the house. But you couldn't help but wonder about his past, and his connection to the girls.

6:30am
You woke up again with the girls nestled in your arms; it felt amazing to have someone sleeping next to me for once. You quickly untangled yourself from their sleepy embrace, getting yourself ready to start the chores for the day.

Exiting your room, you made your way walked down the stairs, you could hear the faint sound of snoring, and a quick glance over the railing told me that Getou was still asleep on the couch .

Quietly, you made your way down the creaky wooden staircase, careful not to wake him. Reaching the bottom, you turned and headed towards the kitchen. You opened the cabinet and reached for a your skillet. But it caused everything to fall and making a lot of noise, causing me to freeze in place.

"Shit." you mumbled under your breath.

You glanced over my shoulder, hoping that the noise hadn't disturbed him.

But, luck wasn't on your side. A pair of dark eyes met your gaze, his expression still drowsy from sleep.

"Great,just great," you thought to yourself.

"Good morning," he said, his tone polite but guarded.

"Uh, morning,"trying to mask the tension in my voice. "Sorry about the noise," you continued. "I didn't want to wake you up."
"It's alright," he replied, the sleepiness in his voice gone.

Did you umm...sleep well?" You asked, trying to fill the silence.

"I've slept in worse places," he answered, his tone distant.

"I'm sure you have." You remarked, remembering how filthy and bloodstained he was when he first arrived.

"Anyway," you continued, breaking the uncomfortable silence. "I was going to make some breakfast. Do you want anything?"

"Whatever you're making is fine," he said, his tone still distant, and a part of me wished that he would open up a little.

"Okay," you replied, a hint of disappointment in my voice

As you rummaged through the cupboards, you could feel his eyes on you. It was making me a bit uncomfortable.

"Can I help you with something?" You asked, trying to keep the annoyance out of your voice.

"Not really," he replied, his tone still distant.
There was an uncomfortable silence, neither of us sure what to say.

"Look," you began, the words coming out more harshly than you intended. "I'm just going to come out and say it, I still don't trust you. You show up out of nowhere, covered in blood, with two girls who are clearly traumatized. You won't tell me anything about where you came from or what you plan to do with them. So forgive me if I'm a little suspicious and uncomfortable around you."

He let out a sigh, running his hand through his hair. "I can understand your concern," he said, his tone more relaxed than before. "But there are things I can't talk about. Things that would put you and the girls in danger. For now, just know that the girls are safe, and that I won't let anything happen to them."

You turned to face him, your gaze meeting his. "Danger, what do you mean? Who's after them?"

"It's best you don't know," he said, his expression serious.

"I have a right to know," you insisted, your frustration building. "If there is some sort of threat out there, then I need to know so I can protect myself."