Chapter 4: Crow Killer Blues

Present Day
Devil's Deep

Cora trudged along the sand, following the boys to the tree line. She pushed her wet bangs out of her eyes, and combed her hair back with her fingers. The salt on her hair threatened to fall into her eyes, and she blinked against the harsh sunlight. She gripped her trident close to her, and she could feel it vibrating slightly.

"What do we know about David Kane?" She called out to Arthur who was a few lengths ahead of her.

"He's more powerful than he was, even without his power suit." He shouted back to her, "He attacked Atlantis and stole a shit ton of Orachalcum."

Cora nodded, stepping into the tree line. The forest felt hotter than the sand, and she could feel her hair sticking to her shoulders, and she brushed a piece away from her lips. She could hear the buzzing of insects around them, and she swatted at the gnats floating around.

"Why did he choose to come here?" She murmured, "It's revolting."

Arthur let out a small chuckle, "It wasn't like this before, he's heating the atmosphere with the Orachalcum."

She nodded, and trudged deeper, pulling up the shoulders of her wetsuit. She didn't have time to go back and get her clothes before they left, so she still had her battle armor on. It was tattered, and she limped slightly.

"Here," Orm whispered softly from the side, holding out a small bundle of clothes, "I grabbed them from a market when we were leaving."

She accepted them, nodding, "Thank you."

"Of course, you shouldn't have to walk around in an outfit you clearly feel uncomfortable in," he stated, and she could've sworn she saw a blush on his cheeks, "It suits you, but I can see it is making you embarrassed."

She nodded gently at him, smiling softly in his direction. She looked around for a small shelter to change and saw a wide tree she could change behind. She ducked behind it quickly stripping the wetsuit off, stepping out of it. A second later Orm popped his arm around, holding her beloved boots.

"Here," he said, not looking, "I grabbed these too."

She chuckled and took them, "No peeking."

As she teased him, he cleared his throat and rushed away. She pulled the red sports bra over her head, and softly dragged her finger over the gills on her sides. They were closed, almost scabbed over. She guessed that the longer she was out of water, the quicker they would disappear. She tugged a pair of boxers up over her waist, the material covering them. She next pulled a pair of black, scaly leather pants up, zipping the boots over them. She quickly pulled the cropped white tank top over her chest, a bit of her tummy peeking out.

At least my tits aren't almost falling out, she thought, laughing.

She stepped around the tree, pulling her holster on around her chest, walking towards where Arthur was talking loudly.

"You know what would be great? A big, juicy burger and a pint of Guinness!" He cried out, mimicking the sound of gulping a beer. Orm stood beside him, looking slightly disgusted.

"Or a slice of 'za, with pepperoni," Cora chimed in, stomach growling. She hadn't eaten since they left, and she was starting to feel it. Her muscles felt weak, and her body was exhausted.

She paused behind Arthur as he let out a mischievous laugh, and plucked a cockroach off a tree. Orm looked at him skeptically, and she flicked her gaze between the two.

"You eat this?" Orm questioned.

"It's the shrimp of the land!" Arthur said, trying to hide his devious smile. He shifted his gaze to Cora, giving her a little wink, and she tried to hide her smirk.