Chapter 5: Cherry Waves

During the Reign of Kordax
Kingdom of Necrus

Hushed whispers filled the halls as a young girl swam through. She knew what they were speaking about. They were speaking about her. As the next in line for the throne, she had responsibilities they could never dream of. She tucked her raven hair behind her ear, adjusting her crown. The words were always the same. They whispered about her appearance, her status, her magic. She never paid much mind to them, their words were meaningless in the grand scheme of things.

Today, things were different. Many whispered about the spells she was about to perform. She never asked for this life, to be thrown in the midst of Kordax's brutal reign. He wanted everything Atlan had, and he would take everything from everyone to get it.

The young siren gently landed in front of the King's hall, knocking sharply on the door. The door creaked open, revealing a long walkway where King Kordax was seated at the end. He beckoned for her, and she quickly walked forward. The light of the sea glimmered off the walls, rippling across her hair, turning the ebony color a dark green. Her dress trailed behind her, the dark material creating a cloud of black on the ground. Her feet were swift, and she reached the other end of the hall in no time.

"Do you have it?" He asked as she knelt in front of him.

She nodded, "Yes, Your Highness."

He stood sharply, descending in front of her. He held out his hand, and she hesitated. Her heart was pounding in her chest, clutching a piece of paper close to her breasts. He grabbed her roughly pulling her close to him. His eyes consumed her being, darkness clouding them.

"Remember your place, little one," he growled, fingers curling around the sheet she held, "You're only here as collateral."

She let out a sharp breath, handing him the paper. He unrolled it, reading the contents, letting out a soft chuckle.

"Good girl," he commented, dragging a disgusting finger across her chin, "You will be rewarded accordingly."

At a first glance, Kordax could be deemed attractive, the perfect specimen of a man. His hair curled gently around his ears, he had ample scruff on his chin, and he was built. But, to those who knew him he was decrepit and monstrous. His muddy brown eyes always had a glint of insanity, and his smile always curled upwards with a sinister look. She shifted her weight, quickly turning to leave. She walked back down the hall, her head feeling heavy. When she reached the end and closed the door, she let out a long breath she didn't know she had been holding.

Rushing back to her chambers, she pulled out an ink quill, and paper. Quickly, but carefully she wrote. The words flowed onto the paper, and she sealed it with a ribbon and a touch of magic. Going to the window, she opened it, calling for her beloved pet. The large squid came to the window, chirping to her.

"Hello my dear," she whispered to it, gently stroking the cold skin of its tentacle, "Deliver this to Atlan, please?"

It nodded, and squinted its eyes, Yes my queen.

Its voice surrounded her head, and it was soon replaced with a ringing sound. She could barely hear anything over the pounding of her own heart. The squid took off, stealthily swimming through the kelp and murk of the kingdom. She could only pray that it would reach Atlan in time.

As she stood there, shoulders quaking in fear, her door slammed open. Kordax stood there, holding his new weapon. The weapon she gave him the instructions for. The black trident shone in his hand, casting an emerald glow around her. He walked towards her, his boots leaving a deafening thud in her ears. He prowled around her, eyeing her like prey.