Chapter 10: Genesis

Chapter 10: Genesis

Unknown Location
Present

Soft waves crashed on the surface, creating a soft lullaby in Cora's ears. She slowly cracked her eyes open, a soft groan escaping her lips. Her body felt heavy, her muscles weak. She could smell the saltwater around her, and the soft breeze drifted firewood and smoke into her nose. She sat up, groaning. The water splashed around her ankles, her pants soaked, the fabric clinging to her. The sand meshed with her fingers as she pushed herself up, standing. Her eyes drifted around the scene, pushing her matted hair away from her face. Salt stung against her lips, and she spit a mouthful of sand and water to the side.

"You're awake."

She spun to the side, kicking up sand, and held her fists up defensively. A man stood there, hands folded behind his back. His grey curls created a halo around his head, melding with his beard and moustache. He had small crab claws protruding from the mess of curls, the earthy color contrasting with the grey. His skin was tan, the water shimmering off his bare chest, glistening his muscles. He had a cloth draped around his hips, the edges of it damp against the sand. He had his head cocked to the side, a curious expression on his face.

"Who the hell are you?" Cora asked, her hands raised in defense.

"Phorcys," he replied, motioning with his hand to the sand around them, "Here, sit."

She reluctantly obliged, her eyes narrowing at him. The sand was hot around her fingertips as she sat, feeling the grains digging into her clothes.

"What do you want with me?" She asked, suspicious.

Phorcys was quiet, stroking his beard as he gazed out at the ocean, "I'm here because you sacrificed yourself, again."

"And?" She scoffed, rolling her eyes.

"For someone who has so much responsibility in the world of man, you die a lot," he mused and Cora couldn't help but chuckle.

"What are you saying?" She asked, a hint of amusement in her words.

"You must be careful," he said, his eyes finally meeting hers, "The gods have been pleased with your sacrifice, and have decided to give you another chance. But we will not always be here to save you. One day you will die and it will be permanent."

Cora nodded, wiping a bead of sweat from her brow, "Why the concern?"

He reached a hand out, tucking a strand of her hair behind her ear. She flinched away at the touch, uncomfortable. But it felt familiar, like it was a touch she had known long ago. It was gentle, and it lingered on her skin long after he pulled away. His gray brows were furrowed, as he rubbed a hand against his mouth.

"You're a fighter, one that has lasted generations. I've seen you fall, and I've seen you reborn ten times the woman you were before," he murmured, "The girl I remember from Olympus is dead, you are new. Frightening."

Cora opened her mouth to defend herself, rage settling in her stomach like a heavy stone. It churned, aching against her flesh, and her nails dug into the shore.

"You are different, but you will always be my daughter."

"WHAT?"

Cora's shout erupted out of her before she could stop it. Her eyes widened, and her mouth dropped open. The man let out a soft chuckle, his gray hair swaying into his eyes.

"I created the sirens, my beautiful monsters of destruction. Their voices could lull even the toughest man into the ocean," he mused, his eyes sparkling with amusement, "I wanted revenge, I wanted to be feared. That stupid sea brat Achelous always took credit for my creation."