Chapter 8: Ghost Walking

Years Ago
Amnesty Bay, Maine

The beach was silent as the young girl stood in front of the brunette prince. His eyes curiously took her disheveled state in, and he reached out a gentle hand to keep her steady. She reached out a blood covered hand, skeptically taking his hand in hers. Her whole body trembled, and she looked pale. His eyes drifted across her abdomen, where he could see small gills breathing in time with the rise and fall of her chest. He met her eyes, and cocked his head. Her eyes reminded him of the deep seas of the ocean, murky and mysterious. They had a green tint to them, and he could've sworn he saw blue shifting in them.

"I'm Arthur," he said to her, hoping to break the tension. He could tell she was terrified, her movements told him everything he needed to know. He pointed to the man standing beside him, "This is Vulko."

"Coralia."

Her timid voice snuck through the air, getting blown away with the breeze. The waves crashed around them as he stepped forward. Her eyes widened, breath quickening, and her hands ignited with a shimmering green glow.

"Hey hey," Arthur said, trying to soothe her, raising his hands to show he wasn't a threat, "I'm not going to hurt you."

She slowly lowered her hands, letting the glow fade, and she let her eyes dart around. His hair was short and brown, but she could see the blonde highlights mixed in, creating a pattern in his curls. His eyes were golden, and they reminded her of the sea flowers that bloomed outside of her hovel. She peeked down at her feet, watching the sand sift around her ankles. It was cool against her bare feet, and she smiled gently.

"I'm on land," she said, her voice hoarse. Her throat was raspy, and strained as she spoke.

Arthur nodded at her words, "Amnesty Bay."

"That's an..odd name," she said, her shoulders finally relaxing. She dragged her fingers through her raven hair, noticing the knots. She stared at Vulko, his appearance familiar.

"Who are you?" Arthur asked again, his voice raising above the crashing of the waves around them. She squared her shoulders, raising her voice so that they could hear her this time.

"Coralia Maya Alena Avalon," she stated, a lump growing in her throat.

Arthur grinned, smoothing the front of his shirt as she sent a soft smile in his direction. He couldn't help but notice the twinge of pain that flashed across her face when she smiled, something he had never seen before.

"But you may call me Cora."

Today
Kingdom of Necrus

Orm woke in the middle of the throne room. His arms were chained to the side, the sharp metal cutting into his wrists, chilling him to the bone. His ankles were chained as well, pulling his legs over the side of the large table he was sprawled on. His blue eyes darted around the room, taking in what he could from the cramped position he was in. His breath came out in transparent puffs, the ice adorning the walls causing it to freeze. His mouth was dry, and he felt weakened. He could hear the steady dripping of the ice as it melted around him, sending low cracking sounds through the room. A small breeze drifted through the room, it chilled him, but there were hints of warmth in it as well.

Heavy thuds echoed around the room, announcing Kane's arrival. He looked disheveled, his movements erratic. His skin was ashy, and Orm could see sweat beads lining his forehead and upper lip. He muttered to himself, picking his nail against the trident he held in his right hand. His suit was damp from the perspiration in the air, and it clung against his skin, so tight that his ribs were peeking through. His eyes were gaunt, his cheekbones popping through his ebony skin, and his scar was more prominent than it was the last time Orm had seen him. He walked over to the table, placing his hand gingerly on Orm's chest.