Facing reality

Lukian, the oldest of the merfolk captured by Humans, and Rafayel's friend, advisor, and almost brotherly figure, awaited Rafayel's return, floating endlessly on his tank, swimming past and forward, anxious for their prince, who dared to stay outside longer every day, risking it all.

When Rafayel appeared from his usual flames, Lukian sighed, relieved that he somehow managed to come back before the guards discovered his tank empty.

Rafayel stood before him, the memory of Enoria's laughter clung to him like salt on his skin.

But now, as Lukian's eyes bore into him, Rafayel's elation curdled into dread. The old merman's scales shimmered like an ancient armor, vibrating, showing that he was angry, his scales were still pale, but greener every day, and his voice carried the weight of his anger.

'You are reckless,' Lukian rasped, his voice a cold whisper. 'A fool blinded by mortal whims.'

Rafayel lowered his gaze, 'Buf Enoria...'

'Enoria!' Lukian spat the name like a curse. 'A human girl, Rafayel. A fleeting spark in the vast ocean of existence. The treasure that you need to bring back to our king, you bonded, yes... but are your fleeting moments with her worth risking everything? Risking our lives and Lemuria?'

'She is different,' Rafayel protested. 'Her laughter, her spirit... it makes me feel so alive Lukian, to finally be close to her, our bond feels so... incredible alive—'

Lukian's laughter cut through the silence, brittle as coral.

'And what of our duty? Your sacred mission to protect us? To save me from this chamber and solitude?' He whispered, sad. 'I stay here when you have fun outside, loving a girl that is distracting you from your duties. Where is the prince that bowed to save Lemuria from Humans... like her?'

Rafayel clenched his fists.

'I have not forgotten.' He whispered, all the joy from tonight turning into sadness and anxiety.

'Have you not?' Lukian's eyes flared.

'I love her,' Rafayel whispered, the words a desperate plea.

Lukian's laughter turned cruel. 'Love? A treacherous current that drags us toward the jagged rocks of oblivion. Do you think your heart matters more than Lemurian? More than your mission?'

Rafayel's chest tightened. 'She is innocent. She also hates her kin' He paused. 'She will come with me willingly, I just need more time to convince her—'

Lukian's eyes softened, and for a moment, Rafayel glimpsed the weight of centuries, the losses, the sacrifices.

'You are young,' Lukian said. 'Your heart still sings with hope. But hope is a siren's song, Rafayel. It lures mortals toward the rocks, and they drown. I just hope your hopes won't end in tears, your Grace'

Rafayel bowed, the weight of his love and duty pulling him under. 'Forgive me'

Lukian's gaze followed him as Rafayel transformed into his Lemurian form, stepping into his tank, and trying to sleep a little before the guards took him away, to his beloved. Yet, Rafayel's heart was a tempest, torn between love and loyalty.

He wondered if Lukian was right. Maybe love was merely a current leading them toward oblivion, towards their end, camouflaged with colorful bonds and laughter from their stolen moments whilst others suffered.

Rafayel hesitated but didn't want to leave their conversation as a mere argument, hating their uncomfortable silence. He hated the thought of Lukian being angry with him.

'Enoria... she is not like the others. She hates her kin, and yearns for something more.' He whispered, voice soft.

Lukian's laughter cut through the water.