✷ Ibtida (Beginning)

"Mashallah!" The lady beamed at her, cupping her face, and blowing protective verses all around her

Inara looked down, keeping her gaze lower and taking in all the compliments thrown her way.

"Look at this henna, her husband will be loving her so much." A friend of her mother gushed and she clutched into her chickankari frock. The voluptuous fabric with multiple layers of pastel green hugged her frame like a second skin.

Her bangs covered her flaming cheeks from all the attention thrown her way. They had escaped the updo her make-up artist took hours to fix with the broad border dupatta that shielded her from all prying eyes. There were hundreds of women in her henna and ubtan ceremony. Tomorrow was the Nikah and she would not be shocked if the number would triple.

Her father, Farish Khan was a renowned politician. While her mother, Jamila Khan was a doctor and her elder brother was joining her father in the next election. They were one of the most influential families in all of Shahpur. A small town from Hyderabad.

It was called the princess of Eastern Ghats and her father had made efforts to turn this place into an economically wealthy locality in his 15 years of power.

"Where is Iram?" Her aunt frowned looking for her younger sister, not so much younger if 11 months were counted.

They were getting married together like all the things they had together. Same class, same school, same college, and now wedding. Same day but luckily to different people.

Inara chuckled at the absurd thought.

"Iram said she was feeling itchy because of Ubtan." She informed them. "She must be in her room. I will go wash up and bring her down."

Her suggestion was quickly met with agreement from their mother who asked her younger cousin to help us climb the stairs.

She definitely needed help with these stairs and her dress. This farmhouse had steeper steps and it left her breathless by the time she completed a round trip during their holidays.

"Aapi." Dania, her 19-year-old cousin grinned at her attention, "Will my Dulha bhais will not come to see yours and Iram aapi's mehendi?"

Inara shrugged wordlessly. She had no contact with Ashfaq, her fiancé of 3 months for the past 5 days. He was her father's colleague's son who had spent his days of glory in Politics and now has retired after his son got a job in a reputed MNC.

They had moved out of the town towards Hyderabad and had returned only after 2 years here to ask for her hand in marriage.

Being the eldest daughter, she had left the decision in her parents' hands. Although, she was ready to say Yes to the proposal hearing they lived in Hyderabad but decided to maintain subtlety in doing so. She had her job in Hyderabad city and wanted the right push to latch onto it. She truly wanted to move out of this town and work in the mainstream capital, she had a master's in business marketing and it could be put to an efficient use only when she was dreaming big.