10.

A D A A

The next day arrived with bright sunshine, signaling the start of the haldi ceremony. I walked into the courtyard filled with colorful flowers and the smell of Haldi.

Despite feeling sad, I put on a smile and greeted the guests. They laughed and chatted, lifting my mood. Soon, it was time for the ceremony.

"At first, Haldi will be applied to Siddhart and then Adaa" Maa said to which I smiled forcefully. "I am coming back in a minute" Saying this, I got up from my seat and went inside.

S I D D H A R T

As I sat in the courtyard, surrounded by the familiar faces of family and friends, I felt a sense of edginess building within me. The haldi ceremony was about to begin but Adaa got up and went inside.

At first, Maa came and applied haldi on my cheeks followed by Adaa's mother, soon to be my mother in law. Many other relatives came and did the ritual.

It was more than 10 minutes but Adaa didn't come back. I couldn't help but to think about what's taking her so long.

"Where is Adaa?" Maa asked. "She went inside a few minutes ago but didn't come back yet" Adaa's Maa replied. Maa looked at me and said "Siddhart go and check on her"

"Why would he go inside in the middle of the ceremony?" Adaa's mother asked and said again. "I'll send someone to bring her"

"Jiski responsibility hoti haina, use hi sambhalna chahiye" Maa said looking at me. "Go and get her" She then ordered.

I can't ignore her order. So, with a nod of understating, I excused myself from haldi ceremony, making my way inside the house.

A D A A

I came inside because I was getting anxious. I am still feeling a weird feeling in my stomach. It is maybe because I'm nervous.

With these thought, I was walking to the backyard, where the ceremony was ongoing. I rounded a corner, but collided in a muscular figure.

Not taking much time, I recognized that he was Siddhart. Haldi was already applied on his face. He held my one arm to prevent me from stumbling backwards.

"I'm fine, I can walk" I said and pulled away my arm from his hand. "Maa is calling you" He said to which I gave no response.

I decided to walk, but as I took a step forward, my foot slipped on a patch of haldi paste scattered on the floor. In a split second, panic seized me as I felt myself falling forward.

But as soon as I was ready for the consequences, strong arms wrapped around my waist preventing me from falling. With a gasp of surprise, I clung to him for support, with my heart pounding in my chest as I tried to regain my footing.

Our eyes met in a moment, my cheeks flushing with embarrassment as I realised how close we were. I could smell his perfume mingling with the sweet fragrance of the haldi ceremony.

"I guess someone said that she could walk" He is definitely teasing me. I broke our eye contact and murmured "T-thank you" while stepping back.

After stepping back, my first thought was how did I fall? I looked below and saw a patch of haldi paste. "See, I slipped because of this paste" I said pointing at the haldi scattered on the floor.