chapter 1

Lucifer

Imbeciles, all of them! How long does it take to locate a fucking vampire that’s hunting you? My life is so close to being mine again. I’ve been given a second chance, but it means nothing until I’m free! I throw the tumbler in a bought of frustration. The glass shatters against the stone above the fireplace. That’s the third one this week. It speaks multitudes of my mood, as of late. 
Taking back this land with glitchy power wasn’t easy, but the strong always prevail.  They know who their master is, for as long as I want to be, and I’m hoping that’s not long. Waiting on Jacob’s band of misfits and having no control over my future has me riled. I’m no longer the fair ruler I was before and I suspect that will cause challenges to my authority.  I say bring it!
These fucking walls make me sick! A castle slammed down in a cesspool doesn’t make it any less of a cesspool. I loosen the tie that suddenly feels like a noose around my neck. Ha, expensive suits, marble pool, priceless art, cooks. Nothing amuses me anymore. I’d choose the cell Celeste put me in over this mirage any day of the fucking week! 
At least the horns are gone and my wings have turned back to the customary plum red I’ve longed to see again. I remove my jacket and shirt, spreading them in the wall sized mirror in front of me. The orangey gold tips glisten in the candlelight, reflecting in the cold gray of my eyes.
I enclose them, walking closer to the mirror. The tattoos lining my body are gone and I’m no longer pale. My skin is a dark olive over defined roped muscle. Not a single imperfection. My jaw is sharp and square; the 5-o’clock shadow covering most of my cleft. I dip my thick brows over sunken eyes with lashes so thick they appear to be lined in kohl. A dark laugh slips at the contradiction I am. Beauty outside, pure evil inside. I deserve to be Here but I refuse it with every fiber of my being.
My lips curl up when I sense his presence. Well, well, well. This day just got interesting.
Leaving the warmth and luxury of my sickening mirage of a home doesn’t come without risk. It takes a few minutes to arm myself and in that time the angel in training becomes impatient, grating on my last nerve. I saunter up to the gate, barely hiding my annoyance at his hurried manner.
He’s not alone.
“What is this?” I ask, tilting my head to the side to examine the slight, red-headed woman next to him. Her head is down, and she’s wearing an oversized hoodie. I open the gate, stepping aside.
“I can’t come in. You know the rules.” Cael barks. I’m surprised he has enough knowledge to not take my bait. If an angel steps foot on the devil’s land, he risks becoming fallen and is almost certain to be ruled by the land’s owner. Right now, that happens to be me. He cringes at my sly smile aimed in his direction. 
“Take her.” He says, thrusting the peculiar creature my way. 
“Are you sure you don’t want to stay for refreshments?” I add, trying once more. He laughs, disappearing instantly and leaving me with… Tallisa? 
She peers up at me through teary eyes. There’s no mistaking her heritage. She’s Jacob’s daughter. The phoenix I’m destined for.
They think I don’t know the prophecy foretelling the phoenix to be my end. There’s nothing that I don’t know and I don’t believe in prophecies. They’ve been wrong before.  Of course, not a soul can recall. The angels made it that way. 
What am I supposed to do with a child of my enemy that’s too young and fragile to defend herself in a place filled with hungry creatures?
I can think of a few things and the image brings a wicked grin that sparks anger in her eyes. She places her hand inside her pocket, reaching for a weapon I surmise.
“I wouldn’t if I were you… your best chance at survival is with me by your side.” I warn. She pauses mid reach. My eyes narrow as I take her in. She’s beautiful, there’s no denying that and certainly has the fire you’d expect from a phoenix.  She’ll be entertaining enough…
“Come with me.” I say in her direction, giving her my back. She launches just like I predicted. I have to be harsh. I gave her a chance and there are too many beings watching the interaction.  If I show leniency to any, I’ll fall, and I can’t fall. Even she should see the clarity in that.
My wings tear at my clothing, breaking free to flare above her, the talons razor sharp. I grasp her by the throat and raise her in the air. Her eyes grow wide, and she shakes, struggling to breathe in my hold.
“Do that again, and I’ll kill you where you stand! Got it?”
She nods or tries to under my tight hold. I drop her, with a demand that she follows me. Tallisa hits the ground like a stone landing hard on her back. Moments later, I can hear her unsteady footsteps behind me. A twinge of guilt pricks my chest. It’s the first emotion other than anger I’ve felt in months.

Cael

So my dad wasn’t scared of a lowly creature.  I knew Jacob was something of great power, but a demigod? I would have never guessed. He’s so humble, God’s never are. They’re all; look at me! Look at me!
I suppose it doesn’t matter. I’ve gotten my orders, and I’ll abide by them for now. I suppose I should feel something for the girl, but my training has made sure I don’t.
He’ll probably destroy her. She’s too young and inexperienced to even grasp the concept of her power, let alone wield it. All well, everyone must make sacrifices.
What I wonder now is, what are we protecting? Are humans even worthy of our protection? Their insignificant lives are filled with greed, jealousy, and war. Why save them at all? 
If it were up to me, I’d let them all fall…