chapter 21

Three days later, 

Tally

The world is nearly fixed, and still no sign of Cael. It’s all very anticlimactic. I’ve slept most of the time, did some research. Anything to keep my thoughts at bay. 
After the first night, the gods joined Poseidon, leaving Jacob here with us. I’ve avoided him so far. It’s been easy since he can telepathically communicate with Poseidon. He pretty much stays linked constantly. 
Our best course of action is to prepare. Jacob seems to think Cael is a ticking time bomb and once he gets word of the gods’ arrival, his ego will lead him straight to us. He’s also made it clear that Poseidon delivers Cael’s death. No one else.
Today is the first day I have nothing to do. It’s given me time to reflect and… I think I’ve made a huge mistake. I miss him more than I missed Jace, and Cole is alive, but just as unreachable.
Who can I tell? It’s obvious not one of them supports my feelings. I Can’t even get to him because I don’t know where he is. If I was being honest, I’ve got a pretty good idea and Jacob is the only one with a location. Yeah, no thanks. 
I can’t believe he thought I was spelled! I scoff. Cole did technically use magic on me, but for sex, not messing with my head or heart. He didn’t need a spell for that.
Is there something wrong with me? Why does Jacob find the possibility of me with Cole so devastating? No. stop it, Tallisa. It doesn’t matter what anyone thinks. That’s what landed you in this state. 
The thought of never seeing Cole again sends me into a panic. I can’t help but think if I had of been easier on him or admitted I had any feelings at all. He would have stayed. None of that matters now. 
I have to leave this room. If I stay in here any longer, I’m going to go insane. 
It’s not until I get in the kitchen that I realize how quiet it is. A glance at the stove clock lets me know it’s shortly after ten in the morning. Where is everyone? It’s obvious they’ve been here. Jacobs favorite cup is on the table. It’s still half full and steaming. I pour myself a cup and move to the big bay windows overlooking the city. 
My coffee drops to the floor, hot liquid splashing up my legs. I don’t feel it. I’m too busy running for cover, as a massive ball of fire is headed straight for me.

Lucifer

She doesn’t love me. Worse, she doesn’t even need me. I sit in a house filled with memories of her, and it’s the worst kind of torture. I’d rather be beaten to a pulp, bones, and all. Feel them mend back together. It would be far less painful.
I haven’t slept. Every time I close my eyes, I see her. The only moment I feel close to ease is when I fly. It’s been ages, and with the world in ruins, I wasn’t able to. I’ve spent most of the last few days in the sky. My shoulders are so sore that I can barely lift a cup of coffee to my mouth. It’s a good thing I can teleport again. It makes this whole meet much easier.
When it became obvious, I couldn’t leave Tallisa’s well-being in the hands of anyone but my own. I made a stop in New Orleans and paid a witch a very large amount of money for a replica of my orb. This one, I won’t have to kill to keep a secret. 
I check my watch. She’s late. The park is full. Just days ago, this place was inhabitable. Only a few buildings stood. Humans are a dedicated breed. It's already resembling a city again. It’s clean and new homes are being built. Children run laughing across the tarnished grass. They’re smiling faces a gift to the world easily given. I would fight for its survival. It is a beautiful place. Being in hell for so long had tarnished my view of life. I’d give anything for the possibility of something simple with the woman I love. To someday have children with her.
“I guess I don’t have to ask if there’s a woman involved.”
The witch! I look in her arms. There’s a small box wrapped in purple paper with little green potion bottles. She’s even gone as far as wrapping it in a ribbon. What has the world come to when even magic comes with a gimmick. She passes me the box with a smile and places a card on top.
“Thank you for shopping at Be’Witche’s. Remember to tell your friends.”
I give her a look that’s more of a warning. She drops the sales pitch, losing the smile, and hurries away. Whatever happened to the days when witches were selective. Trading favors of importance. It’s all so... mainstream, as they call it. Humans are odd.
I teleport back to Antarctica and pour a drink, gently setting the box on the counter. I have a terrible feeling in the pit of my stomach. I don’t know if it’s fear the orb won’t work, or maybe for what I’ll see. Her happy, laughing. Maybe kissing someone else. The glass shatters in my hand. I pull the shards out, rinsing off the blood under the tap. By the time I’m done cleaning up the mess, my cuts have begun to heal. If only my heart was that fast.
I sit down and begin to peel away the absurd wrapping. Inside is worse. The witch has it nestled in bits of curly cardboard like it’s an egg in a nest. The orb itself is standard. Looking identical to my last, maybe a touch clearer with less air bubbles. I chuckle at the small description on the tag. It says: high definition. Her craftsmanship is impeccable. I slip the card in my pocket. 
This is it. I hesitate, afraid if I see her. I won’t be able to stay away. The last thing I need is the blade twisted. she doesn’t want me. I get the point. Just this once, I tell myself, knowing it’s a lie before I even finish the thought.
What I see shocks me to my core. The hairs on my body stand on end and I teleport to her within the second.