chapter 14

Lucifer

I check every damn world I have access to. Even the ones I know he wouldn’t enter. Wherever he is, he doesn’t want to be found. If he abandoned his daughter, I’ll kill him myself and then be there to pick up the pieces.
I never truly intended to follow through on my promise, but I don’t see much of a choice. With Wrath supposedly on his way to free me and Jacob in hiding. Someone needs to fight for earth. I don’t see Tallisa hiding out with me. Even though that’s the best chance of our survival, she’s too proud and young to see reason. Her friends are no help. 
She’s made me into some love struck schmuck, going against my honed survival instincts just because she lifts tail. It’s maddening. 
I exit the cellar covering my prints and watch them. Tallisa is shoveling food in while Rosa yammers on and Celeste picks at a biscuit. Three women together in my home. I shudder, wondering how long it will take Wrath to get here. That’s too much estrogen for even me to handle.
If Cael truly did what Rosa said, he did. There’s no stopping him. The power of an elder alone would be enough to make him near impossible to kill. Half a dozen worth, including Sphear’s substantial multitude. Well, that’s as good as an army. It’s useless fighting, but for her I’ll give it my best shot. My best chance is his pig-headed ego, and a well timed slip up. With someone like him, it’s possible. 
A commotion at the gates sets off my alarms.
They’re here!
Wrath has Mica by his arms, which are clasped behind his back by some type of circlet. That’s his trick? I look closer and recognize the work of the druids. My, my, he does have connections. 
“Can I get a little help here? He’s stronger than he looks.”
I take his other arm, pulling him past the gates and rip off the black hood.
It’s him! This is truly happening. 
“Don’t look so shocked. I’m extremely resourceful.”
I slip the hood back on and take him to the center pentacle saved for this ritual alone. It’s sacred ground only a certain few can enter. Wrath isn’t one of them. The moment Wrath steps toward it, a wall pushes him back.
“What’s this?” he asks, trying to break through the impenetrable wall.
“Only those who hold the Lands power can occupy the space. Get the witch.” I grunt, trying to hold the bastard still. Wrath nods, making the trek back to the house.
Strength is about all this pathetic being has. It’d the brains he’s lacking. I manage to lock one foot in the brace before catching a knee to the nose. I curse, trying to make him see reason. 
“Why are you fighting me? The world is falling apart. Wouldn’t you like to be somewhere that can’t be touched? A land that is all your own with powers that would make the angels cringe..”
He mumbles something I can’t hear. Once he’s fully secured, I pull the hood off and then the gag. 
“The angels are dead.”
Ah, he knows.
“Your power has limits I don’t want to adhere to.”
Him and me both, but I need him willing.  I feed his baser desires.
“It’s not long before your little slice of life isn’t safe anymore. Unless you’re here. Where the angels’ powers can’t touch you.”
I give him a moment to accept that as his reality.
“You’ve felt a smidgen of power this world has to offer and already it took a team to bring you down.”
It’s hard not to laugh at that, but feeding his ego is working. I can see his wheels turning. 
“Just imagine what all of it could do.”
That shuts him up. He’s greedy but has some common sense. He should know this is his best shot at survival long-term.
“Let’s get on with it.”
Just like that, he agrees. The fight is over. It makes me wonder just how bad is it out there?
Celeste approaches the pentacle. Her eyes are focused on Mica and I can literally feel the rage rolling off her like a cold breeze. Shit! I forgot what he did to her sister.  She better not fuck this up. Where is her wolf? I need someone to calm her.
“Grayson is not with you?” I ask. She shakes her head and answers me without breaking her intent stare.
“Doesn’t know I’m here.”
Okay, that’s not good.
“Celeste, let’s make this quick and clean. There are bigger things at stake than revenge.  There’ll be time for that later.”
Mica looks between us. He, too, fears the Wrath of a woman scorned.
I pass her the old scribe, watching her hand clench blindly on the papyrus. 
Wrath steps forward with Rosa.
“Stay focused, Celeste, there’s only one possible outcome here.” Wrath warns her and my eyes dart to his. If she fucks this up, I won’t let it slide so easily for any of them.
“Your day will come, asshole! I’m going to get you back for what you’ve done.”
I let out a long, grateful sigh. At least she’s smart enough to wait. Celeste performs her first spell, opening the pentacle and evoking the ancient spirits of past souls that pledged their lives here. Inky black streams, like spilt ink, burrow from the ground at each point of the pentacle. They surround Mica, leaving a foot of space all around him. They recognize their future home. Celeste’s head snaps to me at an odd angle.
“Enter.” 
Her voice is not her own anymore, and I follow her instructions. From the tip of my finger to the marrow of my bones begins to tingle, then burn. It’s painful when evil leaves like ripping away flesh. I grind my teeth and watch the inky black substance leave me to join the rest. Mica looks truly terrified, chump. He better get used to it. The darkness is about to be a part of him forever. 
Celeste’s head drops on her shoulders as she now acts as a conduit to the Predecessors before her. I smile when I hear the foreign language I’ve been waiting for. The last step that will give me freedom finally riding me of this cursed land.
On the last verse, I’m blasted from the pentacle. The mass of Evil that has been dancing around Mica delves into him with lightning speed as he screams at the overwhelming pain I recall too easily. His position isn’t one I envy and would never want to return to.
“I suggest we leave, fast before he comes to or we’ll be at his mercy.” I yell to be heard over the sudden wind storm.
He gathers the unconscious Celeste and I run back to retrieve Tallisa. She’s staring back at me from the kitchen. When she makes out my expression, she comes running toward me. We make a run for the exit through blowing sand and deep rumbles beneath our feet. 
Seconds now, that’s all we have.
Creatures I’ve wronged, belittled, cast out, or sentenced; all of them now come for me. I hear them hot on my trail. I’m no longer protected by the land. I’m fair game and they’re hungrier than ever. I can see the portal. I don’t dare look behind me. As long as I’m still moving and can see Tallisa in front of me, I won’t stop. Stopping could be the difference between life and death. There’s too many, too much anger. 
The brimstone burns my nose. Mica is awakening. So close, Wrath and Rosa disappear through the portal. Tallisa is next. Mica’s roar rips through me as I exit hell to never return.
I roll on my back. Air burns my lungs as I laugh wholeheartedly. I made it! Looking around, I see things I shouldn’t.  This portal is all wrong. 
No! It’s not the portal.  It’s earth!
I didn’t think it was this bad. Tallisa gasps and Rosa places an arm around her for comfort.
“We should go. It’s not safe here.” She tells Tallisa. I get up, taking a better look. The city is in ruins. Cars litter the roads, burning or smoking. Buildings are demolished. Humans lay dead, thousands. Like garbage scattered throughout the streets. Some half eaten, others… in pieces. I swallow at the carnage. Wrath pats my back to gain my attention.  
“Come on. You’re not welcome, but you’ve got a promise to keep.”
Yeah, one I’ve never wanted to break more. I look at Tallisa, who’s back is cowed beneath Rosa’s arm. She’s crying and my heart aches. I follow Wrath against my better judgment, but I don’t do it for him, humankind, or because it’s right.  
I do it for her.