08| Take me to my baby

*IMPORTANT*

The next update will be released once we reach 1.3k votes. Frankly, the lackluster response I've been receiving makes me question the idea of continuing to write. Your votes and comments are truly my only source of motivation, so I request you to please engage with the story.

Furthermore, I've been pondering extensively about the supporting characters in "Red Strings," and it's occurred to me that they have stories of their own waiting to be told. I'm considering writing a spin-off book that delves into the lives of six characters—Virat, Arushi, Niharika, Samar, Preeta, and Abhinav. What do you think about this idea? Should I proceed with it, or do you believe it's best to let it go?

In the heart of the day's crescendo, the sun reached its zenith, casting a golden veil upon the world below

In the heart of the day's crescendo, the sun reached its zenith, casting a golden veil upon the world below. Shadows danced languidly under the weight of the sun's embrace, while the air shimmered with a sultry warmth. Birds, momentarily stilled by the intensity of the sun, sought solace in the cool refuge of leafy canopies, their melodies muted to a gentle hum. 

My phone rang, the tone filling the confines of the car. I glanced at the caller ID displaying my assistant's name. Swiftly connecting to the Bluetooth system, I slipped the earbud into place. "Yes, what is it?" 

"Sir," her voice over the phone crackled with urgency, "would you kindly make your way to the company premises at once? Mr. Mittal has arrived, accompanied by the architect, and he wishes for you to meet her to finalize the deal."

"Why this abrupt change? I wasn't given any prior notice, nor was I informed about the architect they've decided on," I questioned.

"The situation is rather peculiar, Sir. Initially, the architect Mr. Mittal had approached declined the offer, prompting him to seek out a secondary option. However, unexpectedly, she reconsidered and accepted the project, leading Mr. Mittal to promptly bring her on board. Complicating matters further, he's departing the country in just two days, hence the rush to finalize everything," Disha informed.

I clicked my tongue in slight annoyance, a pang of guilt creeping into my conscience. Today, I had deliberately taken a day off from work, determined to surprise Preeta and Niharika to a movie. Despite their never vocalizing any demands or expectations, I couldn't bear the thought of neglecting them entirely. 

Preeta often immersed herself in her work, secluded in her room, never once asking for outings or financial assistance, perhaps still harboring a sense of indebtedness for my acceptance of her as my sister, despite my repeated insistence that she not perceive everything as a favor. It was my responsibility to dispel such thoughts from her mind, and so I made sure to go the extra mile to do just that.

Similar sentiments lingered for Niharika. Despite our facade of a sham marriage, devoid of any romantic entanglements, I couldn't bring myself to neglect her. She had been my childhood friend, and she remained as such. Throughout these three and a half years, I made it my duty to never make her feel like an outcast or a burden upon me. I continued to treat her with the same warmth and consideration as I had before the drama of her feelings unfolded. That woman had already done so much for me, and I was determined to reciprocate that kindness in every way I could.