𝚌𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝟺

"Morning sunshine." I blinked my sleepy eyes open to see a smirking Zion standing next to me. "Morning." I grumbled, stuffing my face back into the pillow.

I could already feel my body sore from yesterday's events. "Get in the shower and meet me in the kitchen after. We need to talk." He stated. He turned towards the door and gently pulled it closed behind him.

I grumpily pulled the covers off of me and padded to the bathroom which was through another doorway in my room. I pulled the door shut and observed my surroundings. Since I didn't have a change of clothes with me, and my current ones are drenched in my best friends blood, Zion laid out a few of his for me to change into.

The bathroom smelled like fresh cleaning products. The tiles on the floor were cold to my feet, making goosebumps rise on my skin. I turned the water all the way to hot and peeled my skimpy dress off. I stepped in, basking in the heavenly steam rising from the water. I shut my eyes and let the water relax my muscles.

I was nervous about what the rest of the day would bring. I had barely even thought about who could have possibly killed Katia that now it's all I could think about. Zion had mentioned Katia at the party and it just reoccurred to me. "Weird." I thought aloud to myself. It was weird. And now I was showering at his fucking house? What the fuck am I doing?

In attempt to avert my thoughts I snooped around for some soap. A single bottle of Dove sat on the ledge of the shower. I squeezed some into the palm of my hand and lathered it onto myself. I inhaled. It smelled like mint. That explains why Zion always smells so good.

After I completely dried myself off and brushed my teeth with a new toothbrush I found in a drawer, I studied myself in the mirror. Dark, tired circles surrounded my eyes. Mascara smudged from my lashes and my hair was a disheveled mess. Sighing in exhaustion, I padded to the kitchen and found Zion sitting on a barstool sipping coffee. "You actually like black coffee?" I crinkled my nose in disgust.

"You don't?" He inquired. "No." He rolled his eyes playfully. I perched on a chair at the kitchen table. The whole room smelled like freshly brewed coffee beans. I always loved that smell. It reminded me of my mom's kitchen and how she would make my sister and I breakfast every sunday while we sipped our coffee together.

Zions expression grew serious as he set the coffee mug down on the granite countertop. "Cassidy we need to talk about what you saw last night." My heart started racing.

"What about it?" I didn't want him to know I even suspected him. I wanna get out of here as fast as I could without bringing attention to him. "Tell me everything you saw while you were up there. Don't leave a single fucking detail out." He ordered.

"Um. Maybe since my best fucking friend was right in front of me, dead, I didn't have much of my attention on anything else." I hissed. His jaw tightened. "So you didn't see anyone else?" He seemed to be looking for a certain answer.

"No." I didn't know what else to say. Of course I hadn't seen anyone else. This seemed to genuinely relieve him as his face relaxed.

However, one detail in particular from last night stood out to me. I didn't mention it to him as I knew it would set him off. A set of footprints were imprinted into the puddle of blood around Katias body. I started chewing on my nails, a horribly bad habit I have when I get nervous.

I needed to call Wyatt and get everything sorted out and figure out what I should do. He's gonna be so pissed when he finds out I was at the same party, if he didn't already know.
"Do you mind taking me home? My boyfriend has got to be worried sick." At this his jaw tightened again. He seems to know what Wyatt does to me. If he did know, he didn't say anything. "Yea grab your shit and let's go. My girls gonna be here in twenty minutes." He jumped up and grabbed his keys off a nearby hook.

"I didn't know you could get a girlfriend." I rolled my eyes. He stepped closer to me, my head at chest level. His face was so close I could see his pupils dilating. My breathing hitched. I looked away. He tipped my chin up to meet his gaze, "I'm capable of a lot of things, Cass." A flush of scarlet swept across my face. Suddenly his eye contact stopped and the moment was over. I hastily went to grab my phone and boots to file out the door.

He started the car and started driving towards my apartment. My phone dinged a few times. My heart would start racing every time I picked my phone up to check it. News notification. I relaxed a little. Then I read it.

Local Washington University student stabbed to death at frat party last night

Bile rose in my throat as my stomach clenched with fear. I didn't understand why it was her and not me, or anyone else at the party. Why Katia? Why would someone want to hurt her?

My thoughts were cut short as Zion came to a sudden halt. I looked up at my tiny apartment building. "Thank you for the ride." I plastered on a polite enough smile. I didn't mean it. "I know you don't like me, but call me if you need anything, please." He seemed genuinely concerned. He had to know.

My palms began to sweat. "Thanks." I mumbled as I let myself out of his Mustang. My smile faltered as I approached my door and twisted my key in the rusty lock. Warm air poured out. My heart dropped into my gut when I noticed Wyatt waiting for my in a chair.

"Where the fuck have you been?" He demanded, already yelling. "Please just let me explain everything." My eyes started to burn. A lump in my throat was forming. His eyes dropped to my shirt. "Who's fucking shirt is that?" Fuck. I'm still wearing Zions shirt. Now I was really starting to panic. My legs started becoming more and more weak and I padded towards him. When I got close enough to him that i could reach out to touch him, he reached out and gripped the collar of my shirt, forcing me to look at his face.

"I'll fucking slit your throat
if you don't tell me who you've been with Cassidy." I gulped. There was never a way to win an argument with Wyatt. Ever.