Chapter 38 - A Better Life

Previously...

Cruel ran and hid behind a tree before wrapping Deon up in his cloak. He could see the tears from the pain were now dried and Deon shivering from the cold, he felt useless as he watched his younger brother suffer even when passed out. He ignored the wounds he had himself and focused on Deon's health, for now they could hide here for a bit and eventually return.

***

By now the duke should have found out that he had betrayed him and protected Deon instead of killing him like the duke wanted. Cruel sighed, why was the duke so hellbent on killing Deon, it was something he still couldn't investigate no matter how much he investigated the duke.

He checked the entire estate, including the basement for any clues as to why Stave Illuster wanted to kill Deon. But no matter what he did to investigate, it was like he never did anything suspicious. Cruel then remembered Senzer who was with him before he abruptly ran out, he also has probably reported everything to the duke already.

(A/N): I changed Starbe to Stave because it's easier to remember, but they're the same person.

"Where have they gone?!"

"Be careful- this is the Demonic Realm, if we get caught here we'll die in an instant."

Cruel could the two assassins searching around the vicinity. They were probably the only two who were determined to find him, most likely because they needed to kill either him or Deon at least and bring a body part to the duke.

"Stay put! I'll deal with it, you're still injured, remember?"

'Are Gods able to intervene with the Human Realm?'

"Let's say, I got a little bit of help."

The God of Death gave a playful giggle. A second later, Cruel could see an abundant amount of black arrows aimed towards the two assassins that successfully wiped them out. With a few screams as a reward.

Not much longer, a pair of footsteps were heard from afar. They seemed not be expecting Cruel since they began to talk about plans, he could tell these people were demons just by the fact that they kept talking about the Empire in a bad light. He felt like he shouldn't be hearing any of this, but here he was unintentionally eavesdropping on them.

That was when he heard it, one of the demon's addressed the other in a respectful tone. More specifically, they called him 'your majesty' which meant that this was the Demon King and his corps commanders.

"We might have to change targets."

"Your majesty, our target has always been humanity!"

"Aslid, Lord Demon King has a point. Have you seen Sir Arut's report? That man is a threat to us, they aren't even on the Empire's side either."

Aslid stayed silent after Edellia's rebuttal, she was right. The report Deon had gave about the man's abilities already said a lot about the possible strengths of the other group members. Even if they destroyed the Empire, the Demonic Realm would be the next target of destruction which would ultimately end with the termination of a world.

Just like how the oracle predicted, the world would be doomed if these entities stayed for any longer on this world.

Rustle!

"Who's there?!"

Fuck, he accidentally moved from his place and alerted them. Cruel could only stay in place as the Demon King and corps commanders immediately ran to the source of noise.

"Oh? you must be the new hero."

Caver turned around and blew the tree over just enough so it wouldn't harm the person on the other side, it immediately revealing an injured Cruel who was covering something with his cloak. Though they hadn't realized, Cruel was covering Deon with his cloak while he was running away from the assassins