Chapter 13

Lucy

Lucy knocked on the door of the town's doctor's office.

"It's open."

Lucy opened the door and closed it behind her. "Hey Molly."

Molly was sitting behind her desk and typing something on her computer. She looked over her computer and at Lucy. "Hey Lucy." She looked at the clock on the wall. "You're a couple of hours early for our chess game. It's only noon."

"What? I can't visit my best friend randomly?"

"Nope. You need an appointment. I'm a very busy doctor."

"There's absolutely no one in the waiting room." Lucy pointed back with her thumb. "I didn't even see your assistant out there."

"Today was slow so I gave her the rest of the day off," said Molly with a laugh. "But seriously, what brings you here?" Molly stood up and was about to give Lucy a hug before she stopped. "Don't tell me you're feeling sick."

"No, I'm fine. I'm just here to check up on you." The two gave each other a hug then sat down across from each other. "I heard the police had you do the autopsy on Ivy."

Molly's face went grim. "Yeah, probably the worst thing I've ever done in my career. I kind of wish I passed the job along, but Larry wanted me to do it quickly."

"Really? He personally told you to do the autopsy?"

"Yeah, he wants us to put this horrible situation behind us as soon as possible. I understand where he's coming from."

"Still, he's asking too much from you. I should talk to him."

"Don't. What's done is done."

"I'm sorry I haven't checked on you sooner," said Lucy as she put a hand over Molly's.

"It's okay. You have your daughter to worry about. I heard she's taking it quite badly."

"From who?"

There was a knock at the door. "It's me. Can I come in? I brought food."

"Yes, come in," said Molly.

A man, who held Chinese food, opened the door and he was clearly surprised to see Lucy. "Oh, hey. I wasn't expecting to see you."

Lucy stood up and grabbed the bag of Chinese food from him and brought it to Molly's desk. "How nice of you, Mr. Souza. Thank you for the food," she teased.

"You don't have to call me Mr. Souza. You can call me -"

"Nope," said Lucy, cutting him off. "As long as you are my daughter's teacher, you'll be known as Mr. Souza."

Mr. Souza crossed his arms as he watched Lucy serve three plates of Chinese food.

Molly went over to him and gave him a kiss. "Thank you for the food," said Molly.

"Yeah," said Lucy as she continued to serve it. "Thank you for the food."

"That was supposed to be for Molly and I."

Lucy turned around and gave Mr. Souza a pout face. "Nothing for me?" she said in a childish voice.

"Stop messing with him," said Molly as she went to help Lucy serve the food. "Of course there's enough for the three of us."

Mr. Souza went over to them and helped finish serving the food. "I think I would have hated to be your teacher," he said to Lucy.

"Shouldn't you be in school teaching?" she asked.

"Lunch," answered Mr. Souza. "I have the next half hour off. Was planning to enjoy it with Molly."

"Oh, lucky you. Now you get to enjoy it with Molly and I." Lucy took a seat and had a bite of her food.

Molly sat down. "Sit, Mr. Souza. Enjoy our company." She took a bite of her food as she leaned on Lucy.

Mr. Souza sat down across from them. "Now you're calling me Mr. Souza too." Molly stuck out her tongue at him. "Speaking of school. How is your daughter holding up?"

"What do you mean?" asked Lucy. "She's fine."

"But isn't she missing school because of what happened to Ivy?"

"She's missing school?"

"Yeah, she's been missing school since the day you took her home early."

"That little brat is so grounded," said Lucy to herself.

"So she hasn't been staying at home because of what happened?"

"No. She's been leaving to school every morning. I guess she's been skipping instead. Is Ken Silva in your class as well?"

"He's been missing school too. Same reason as your kid."

"And who told you that was the reason they were missing school?"

"A note from their parents."

"Come on, Souza," whined Lucy. "You should know better than that."

"Mr. Souza," he corrected. "If you're not going to call me by my first name, don't forget the mister. Respect."

Lucy smiled. "Alright, Mr. Souza." She turned to Molly. "You wouldn't happen to know who attended the hunt the other night?"

"No. Why do you ask?"

"Someone took a shot at me that night. I would like to know who."

Molly and Mr. Souza were in shock. "Excuse me?"

"Someone shot at me that night," said Lucy, casually. "I don't think they were trying to kil mel, just scare, but I'm not honestly sure."

"Are you serious?" asked Molly. "Did you tell the police?"

"I did, but I also told them I don't really care so don't bother looking into it."

"Why did you do that?"

"Because I like to handle my own problems myself."

"Someone tried to kill you and you don't want the police's help?" said Mr. Souza.

"Correct."

"So you're crazy."

"Are you just finding this out," she said with a smile.

"I don't have a list but I can probably figure out what the police know and tell you," offered Molly.

"Thank you. I would appreciate that."

The phone rang causing everyone to look at Molly's desk. She went over and saw the caller ID. "Ah, speak of the devil," said Molly. "It's the police."

"Don't mention me," said Lucy.

"Hello, this is Molly speaking. How can I help you?" Lucy and Mr. Souza watched as Molly's expression changed to grim. "Alright, I'll be right there." She hung up the phone and stared at her desk.

"Babe?" said Mr. Souza. "Is everything alright?"

"No," answered Molly. "The police found Domingo's body. He passed away last night."