The Kingdom of Alaka

The Elapsed Era: More than a thousand years ago...

Eons ago, long before our cities came into existence or invaders laid siege to our land when the Sun was worshipped as the lord of creations, when Shivaliks, the spectacular mountain ranges were revered as the god of preservation, when the gushing rivers, viewed as the origin of life, were offered prayers and when the forests were worshipped as the guardian angels, there were three warring kingdoms - the kingdom of Alaka, the kingdom of Vindhash and the kingdom of Khandvas- who wrestled for the control of the five great rivers - Alaka, Hiranvati, Brahma-Vodya, Yakshagni & Vrihadvati. The wealth of a kingdom then was represented by its forests, rivers, and all the natural resources. Of the three kingdoms, the kingdom of Alaka was considered the most powerful. Surrounded by snow-capped mountains, protected by lush green forests on all its sides and three of the five rivers running through it, Alaka, the wise and the learned believed, was born when the gods had been benevolent or maybe when they had been gratified enough to bestow the land with an unending source of natural, spiritual and material wealth – the last being Himavat, the glittering gold mines. The three rivers - River Alaka, River Hiranvati, and River Yakshagni were the lifelines of the kingdom. River Alaka flowed its way through the kingdom, and being the major source of maritime trade, took precedence in connecting all the cities and at the end of its journey, receded into the great ocean of the south. River Hiranvati was more subdued and seemed almost quietly introspective during its journey through Alaka. But the moment it crossed the border with the kingdom of Khandvas, it acquired an untamed persona and seemed to throw tantrums by overflowing its banks, particularly during the monsoon season. The currents underneath the river were deceptively strong and many a life of Khandvas had been lost in the temperamental river.

River Yakshagni was considered the sacred river of the kingdom of Alaka. It flowed through its capital city Alakapuri. A five-day festival was arranged annually to celebrate the river's existence just before the onset of summer culminating on the full moon day of the month. While the enlightened ones of the kingdom were convinced that the river concealed a cavernous secret, that, if revealed, would destroy mankind and the universe, others believed that there was an ancient treasure hidden underneath the river. Hence Yakshagni was never favored for trade or sports. The river cascaded through, in a calm and magical course, playing muse to many inspired poets, painters, and musicians, who dwelled on its grassy banks to create ballads, compose music, or sketch stirring landscapes. No one had explored the origin or the end of the river. Yakshagni instilled a sense of awe in its surroundings, a kind of inexplicable desire to maintain a respectful distance from it, and even the animals refused to wade through the water. Its course continued through the dense forests surrounding Alaka.

The kingdom of Alaka was ruled by King Kuvera Bhadra - II. He was a kind but stern king who was loved and adored by his people. He and his father, Mani Bhadra were great builders and their creations were enjoyed and admired by future generations. Their Armed forces were so powerful and remarkable that other kingdoms sent their leaders to learn war strategies from Alaka's school of defense. People in this kingdom were blessed with the benefit of uncontaminated air blowing inwards from the forests and the Alpine mountains which also helped the citizens to lead a life of good health, free from any kind of sickness. With everyone content in life, no one had the urge to steal or rob. Each family had enough produce to last a lifetime.

A unique law in Alaka was that the eldest child of a family must be dedicated to the service of the kingdom. Once the child grew up, he or she would be engaged in the way the authorities deemed fit; join the army or work in the fields or engage in the study of science or render whatever service the state needed. While the younger child was supposed to work for the family, no family was allowed to have more than three children. The fourth child, if born, was to be handed over to the welfare of the kingdom. No one had any complaints about such a system. Not a single child slept on an empty stomach. The King, whenever a dignitary visited never failed to mention that he was the proud descendant of the Shivalik Mountains which took care of its inhabitants. He was named Kuvera (meaning wealth) because the time of his birth and the discovery of the gold mines of Himavat had coincided and this discovery had established Alakapuri as the main port capital of maritime trading.

Alakapuri, the capital of Alaka, was depicted as the city of the future in the centers of learning. A towering fort surrounded by moats dominated the cityscape. The fort housed the royal family's palace, the school of defense, the mansions of noble families, and the astonishing Nandana gardens of rare and exotic species of plants and birds. Alakapuri was a city with wide avenues, parks, playgrounds, and grasslands. In the heart of the city, there was a colossal circular building that was the center for studies. It was open at all times, allowed any number of pupils, and provided various streams of studies to the learners. Students from distant lands arrived to train under the distinguished faculty. Many scholars, sages, and academicians assembled at the University often to debate and discuss. Some of them developed advanced programs in which students strived to enlist. Being an important trading center, one could see large watercrafts plying in the river Alaka.

In the backdrop of Alakapuri, the soaring columns of a white marble temple built on one of the peaks astonished one and all with its rising pillars, magnificent dome, and intricate sculpture. The 7000 feet elevation had winding roads, precipitous bends, and long tunnels. The lamps along the winding road illuminated the city and the mountain slopes at night. It was a sight that mesmerized the beholder with its grandeur and brilliance. The temple was built for the ruling monarch. Every reigning king had a life-like figure sculpted and placed in the temple for its citizens to worship him as the King of Kings.

The kingdom of Alaka did not discriminate between its citizens; it had no prejudices; was free from bigotry. It treated everyone with equal respect. Alaka enjoyed friendly relations with the kingdom of Vindhash while the kingdom of Khandvas often engaged in border skirmishes with Alaka.

For many years, after his wedding to the daughter of a noble, King Kuvera Bhadra had no child. It saddened him that he had no progeny to bequeath his legacy. One day Yaksha Amogha arrived at the palace to counsel him. Seeing the king's depressed state of mind, Amogha blessed him,

"Do not worry king of kings! Your wife's womb will be blessed with a child soon. The child would be the master of all he surveys and would be the unequivocal power of the entire land stretching from Shivaliks to the great ocean in the south."

Hearing this, the king was overjoyed and a year later, a handsome boy was born to him. The kingdom of Alaka erupted in joy at this news and celebrated the event with immeasurable enthusiasm. The king named his son Ekveer Bhadra. Without exception, every nook and corner of Alakapuri was decorated and a magnanimous feast was arranged by the royal family for the citizens for ten days. People from all walks of life, from every corner of the kingdom, participated in the festival.

Except for Yaksha Amogha...

The child's time of birth caused great concern for Amogha. The prince was born on a black moon night, the rare second new moon of a month. Amogha's forefather had prophesied that a royal child born on that night would be the harbinger of the great storm.