The Malicious Intent

The Elapsed Era:

Wise men believe that when the time is not right, even the best of leaders lose their perspectives. King Kuvera Bhadra-II was loved and held in esteem for his peaceful governance and not for his valour. He had not fought a major war because his ancestors had expanded Alaka to such glorious heights; that no other sovereign dreamt of challenging its supremacy. King Kuvera merely continued to reap the fruits of the hard work of his ancestors. Be that as it may, when he was plagued by a churlish neighbouring monarch, a rebellious son and the possibility of an execution of an ancient curse, his narcissistic tendencies drove him to save only his throne and his son. While his intentions grew malicious, he lost the sagacity of a leader.

**************

The bull race ended and Ekveer returned to the stadium in time to announce the winners. Kuvera Bhadra nursed a kind of perverse hope that Hanneli had been taken care of and she wouldn't be a source of trouble for him in the future. Ekveer was unusually quiet after his return. Kuvera Bhadra pondered if his son had left the stadium earlier to see a dead Hanneli. Is that why he looked upset? At times, he could never guess his son's thoughts!

The spies who returned from Khandvas had confirmed that it was indeed the mercenaries of Khandvas who had abducted Sadhana in Vindhash and confined her. Kuvera Bhadra fumed at the foolhardiness of Brijesh Mohan for believing that Ekveer was the one who kidnapped the princess. He planned to undertake a journey to Vindhash with Ekveer to placate Brijesh and his daughter and also fix a date for the wedding.

After the ceremonial felicitation was over, Kuvera Bhadra returned to the palace but Ekveer stayed back to mingle with the spectators. On his way to the palace, Kuvera's special troopers reported that Hanneli had escaped the sorcerers' spells and Ekveer was aware of the attack. He was crestfallen at the news. He had wanted Hanneli dead and hence he had commanded his special platoon of warriors to carry out the action. Despite using the most frightful magicians in the kingdom, they failed to carry out the mission. He counted on Ekveer never learning about his father's involvement.

In the palace, his wife awaited his arrival with anxious eagerness and informed him, "A group of ministers have come over to see you urgently and they are waiting in the guest chamber. They say it is an emergency."

Frowning, Kuvera Bhadra marched to the chamber. His closest group of counsellors and advisors had gathered and they were engrossed in a hush-hush discussion. Seeing him, they rose in respect.

"Your Majesty! This vital piece of news is very critical."

"What is it?"

"Vindhash and Khandvas have united against Alaka. They will soon declare war on us."

An overpowering resentment gripped Kuvera Bhadra at the perfidious Brijesh Mohan who took no time to stab him in the back. He ruminated over the latest development and directed his counsellors, "I never thought Brijesh Mohan would form an alliance with our enemy. Start preparing for war. We need all our resources in place."

The distinguished group of men, who occupied the high ranks of the governing body of the kingdom, glanced at each other and unable to follow their king's line of thought, they quizzed, "But Your Majesty! What about the marriage alliance between our prince and their princess?"

"If Brijesh is foolish enough to join hands with Suraj Aditya and go against us, then we have no choice but to go to war. The marriage plans are annulled for the present."

"Yes, Your Majesty...We will start preparing for the war right away."

The advisors left except for one. He sought the king's guidance, "Your Majesty, this is regarding Khandvas. The king's consort Urmathi is seeking refuge in Alaka for herself and her father."