Bhagadatta's scars

The Elapsed Era:

Gazing nervously at the rising moon, Hanneli wavered between meeting him and skipping the rendezvous. Subduing the burgeoning guilt for ignoring her father's edicts, and submitting to the overpowering temptation to meet the presumed prince, Hanneli left the forests and made her way through the brightly lit paved roads of Alakapuri crossing the circular building of studies, the district center, the market and the busy dock where large cargo boats were loading and unloading commodities. The sleeping city glittered under the lamps, drawing attention to the domes and towers of the recently constructed structures. Alakapuri was growing in size, population, and buildings, making its residents proud of its expansion but Yakshas feared that the forests they loved would one day vanish under the guise of development. The waterfront along the grassy plains of the river Yakshagni came into view and deserted at the hour of the night, Hanneli spotted him easily. She reached the arched monument built for a queen who had ruled Alaka many years ago. The king had deserted the queen for a Yakshi, and not willing to give up on their love, the king and the Yakshi had eloped from the kingdom. Subsequently, the queen had ruled the kingdom in the king's absence, and when the king had failed to return; she had cursed the Yakshis of never finding love again. She had later died of depression. To appease her soul and honour her memory, the citizens of Alaka built the monument.

She saw him waiting for her in restrained impatience. There were two attendants but they were standing afar holding the horses. She knew she wouldn't be visible to them. Hanneli knew the name of Alaka's prince but whether this man was the prince or not, she had to find out. Her pulse picked up pace with every step she took towards him.

Becoming aware of her presence, he spun around to see her approaching him and the first thing he observed was,

"You didn't wear your band..."

Hanneli shrugged and glanced at the mighty river flowing in deceptive gentleness. It was common knowledge in Alaka that anyone who ventured to swim in the waters of Yakshagni never escaped its fatal currents.

Ekveer lowered himself on the fenced railings and devoted himself to studying her with interest. His undisguised scrutiny did not halt her from returning his stare. She regarded his expensive garment, his well-groomed hair, his tall frame, and his impressive face. He raised his eyebrows in query, a roguish smile playing on his face at her inspection.

"So, if you are really the prince, answer my questions."

"Ask away." His devilry did not mask the challenge leaping out of his eyes.

"Who is the most powerful of all in the Universe?"

"The Sun!"

"Why?"

"Being the undisputed star, it is; no one can think of conquering the Sun."

"Who is the brightest of all in the Universe?"

"The Moon!"

"Wrong, it reflects the light of the Sun."

"But when the Moon glows, it drowns every other light."

"Agreed, where is the tallest peak?"

"Mount Mandara!"

"Which is the most dangerous river?"

"Yakshagni!"

"Why?"

"It conceals an unknown secret that can destroy the world."

"Humans are....... Complete the sentence."

"Humans are similar to the moon..." Ekveer responded.

"How so? How can humans be like the moon?"