Chapter 10: Weakness

"What's a poor wretched girl like you doing in a place like this? You don't belong here, Eva!" Stephanie spat.

"Steph, stop! Let's not escalate things" The man said, taking off his mask.

"Liam? It was you!?" Eva said, with a hint of disappointment in her voice.

Liam was about to say something, but Stephanie shunned him.

"Escalate things? Oh dear, things have escalated already! She ripped my dress! And, I'm sure that she can't even afford it!"

 "Stop this, Steph! Let's go, please". Liam pleaded, but Stephanie paid no attention to him.

A waiter walked by carrying a tray of champagne-filled glasses. Stephanie swiftly grabbed one and poured its contents over Eva, further spoiling her dress.

"That's for ripping my dress, and also a reminder of how poor and wretched you are". Stephanie said, and Eva stood there humiliated.

She looked around, and the guests were murmuring and gossiping amongst themselves, and also taking pictures of what had happened between her and Stephanie. 

She ran out of the ballroom in a hurry, not looking back. She could hear Liam calling out to her to wait, but she didn't stop.

When she was out of the building, she found some seats in a place that looked like a garden, and went to sit there.

As Eva sat alone in the garden with tears streaming down her cheeks, she couldn't shake off the humiliation and anger that consumed her.

She cried, and placed her palms on her forehead. It was dark already.

Eva picked up her phone and dialed Nathan's number, but it went to voicemail. She tried it again, but it still went to voicemail. 

Where was he when she needed him the most?

Stephanie's venomous words echoed in her mind, a constant reminder of her perceived worthlessness in the eyes of others.

She sat there, still drained from the embarrassment. 

As she sat there, she saw a shadowy figure from distance in the dark. It seemed like the person was watching her.

"Hello? Who's there?" Eva called out, but the shadowy-like figure still stood in that position, watching her.

Eva became frightened and scared all of a sudden. Who was this person? And why was he/she watching her from a distance? These thoughts crept in her mind, but Eva tried so hard to distract herself from the thought that someone was stalking her.

She stood up and moved to the other seats in the garden, but the figure still followed her, watching her from a distance. 

Now, she was extremely frightened and terrified. Who was this person?

She picked up her phone and her fingers trembled when dialed Nathan's number, but it went to voicemail again. What was going on?

Just then, someone tapped her from behind, on her shoulder, and she screamed out in fear.

"Aaaahh!!!!" She screamed.

"Hey, it's me, Eva. What's wrong? What happened?" Nathan asked. He sat beside her almost immediately. 

"Talk to me". He said, but Eva was too shocked to speak.

The tears came crawling down her face again.

"S…someone…" She stuttered.

"What's going on?" Nathan asked, placing her head to rest gently on his chest.

"S…some…someone was he..re"... Eva said in-between her tears. She pointed towards the direction the shadowy figure stood, but the figure was no longer there.

"But, there's no one here". Nathan said, still comforting her. 

"There… he…she…"

"Shhh… it's okay. I'm here, okay? You're okay now". Nathan said, trying to make her calm.

"Get your hands off me!" Eva yelled, shoving Nathan off. She became furious all of a sudden, and she wiped the tears off from her face forcefully, and got out of Nathan's embrace.

Nathan was shocked at her sudden behavior. "I'm sorry". He apologized. 

"Where have you been!? I called you countless times, Nathan!"

"I'm sorry. I had an emergency. The person that interrupted our dance earlier works at my company, and something came up at the office…"

"Oh please, Nathan! Don't tell me that!" Eva yelled angrily. "You told me to call you! You told me to call you if something had happened, and I did. But, you weren't there! You weren't there when I needed you the most!"

"Eva, I'm sorry. I…"

"Arghh!" Eva screamed impatiently. "Take me out of here!"

"But, Eva…"

"Now! Nathan! Now!" Eva yelled again, and Nathan could see that she was really annoyed.

"Fine. I'll just get the car ready. Wait here".

"You're kidding, right?" Eva scoffed. "I was humiliated by my Step Sister and my Ex-boyfriend in there, while you were gone Nathan!"

"What!?" Nathan asked, surprised. 

"Do you know how that made me feel!? They humiliated and embarrassed me, in front of everyone! Take a look at my dress! Just look!" 

Eva yelled, pulling a part of her dress out, to make the stained part visible to Nathan.

"Where are they? I'm going to have them leave the premises at once!" Nathan said. He stood up, and attempted to leave, but Eva stopped him.

"Where do you think you're going, huh!? You expect me to stay here and wait for you when a stalker is on the loose? Someone is watching me, Nathan!"

"Fine then. Come with me". Nathan said, stretching his hand out to her.

She put her hands in his, and he led her to where his vehicle was parked. 

When they got there, Nathan opened the door of the passenger's seat for Eva, and she entered. He spun round and went to the driver's seat, but as he was about to enter to drive off, he noticed a writing on his windscreen. 

The writing was scary, and it almost looked like it was written with blood.

It read: "We're watching you; Nathan. And, we've found your weakness".

At that moment, Nathan was extremely terrified.