Chapter 17: A Gem Capture

Lars sat atop the lighthouse in the quiet of the night, his gaze drifting across the vast expanse of the ocean. In moments like these, when there were no gem-related problems in Beach City, he couldn't help but appreciate the tranquility of the place. If it weren't for its small size and the limited number of major establishments like Mr. Smiley Funland and The Big Donut, Beach City might attract even more visitors.

As for the report the gems had given Lars about their failure to capture Peridot, obtaining only a single foot from her, it wasn't surprising. With enough time having passed, Peridot could theoretically teleport directly to the gem base thanks to the logs and the pod's location still being linked to her system.

To prevent this, Lars had taken the pod away and hidden it in a secret location. Although Pearl had fixed it to repair the Communication Tower, sparking tension between Garnet and Pearl due to Lars mainly fixing the system, Lars had no intention of completing the repairs needed for it to function normally.

Warcher stood by near Steven's home, keeping a watchful eye on the surroundings, ready to inform Lars of any movement that wasn't from the gems or Steven.

Lars sat quietly, waiting. Suddenly, the lights inside Steven's home flickered on, and Warcher appeared, waving his arms and forming a triangle shape on his head, indicating their target had appeared.

Lars: Off I go.

Lars stood up and walked to the edge of the lighthouse, then took a daring leap off, free-falling from the height. He passed the fence still installed on the cliff's edge, and just before crashing into the sand, he kicked himself off the cliff wall, propelling himself to the sandy bay below. Skidding across the sand with his leg and boots slicing through the particles like ice, he spun gracefully, slowing himself down before coming to a stop with a flourish.

He sprinted toward the house door, entering to find the lights dimmed and the Crystal Gems rushing in through the door on the other side of the crystal.

Garnet: Steven!

Pearl: Amethyst!

Amethyst darted into the kitchen and leaped onto Steven's bed, only to find it empty.

Amethyst: He's been Steven-napped!

Pearl bit her lip, while Lars calmly strolled over to the crystal, tracing the attachment on Peridot's hand and placing it upon the crystal for a few seconds. The gems watched him, waiting to see what he found.

As the crystal began to glow and emit a light, Lars activated the last teleportation recall. Although he didn't know the destination, this method would allow them to track the Steven-napper. Without questioning, the gems hurriedly hopped onto the crystal and were teleported away.

Once they were gone, Lars and Warcher looked around the room, then at each other. They set about cleaning up the place, remaking Steven's bed, fixing the plushies' placements, and folding Steven's shirts, which were still piled in the middle of the room.

No words were needed for the duo to understand one another; they were both excellent cleaners.

Yes, they should have gone to chase Peridot, but the house was far too dirty from the commotion to be left alone. The gems should be able to handle Peridot, but then again...

Lars: Warcher.

Warcher: Rah?

Lars: I'm giving you a new task.

Warcher saluted Lars and awaited his instructions.

Lars: Eliminate Peridot and take this.

He passed the metal attachment to Warcher as Lars walked to the crystal. With the same trick, he triggered the recall. Warcher marched into the light and was teleported away with his bow still on his back.

Within only 30 seconds, Warcher arrived at the location where everyone else was gathered... The Galaxy Warp.

The gems had managed to push Peridot to the edge, who was beginning to fly away.

Peridot: You're all annoying! Just shatter away!

Meanwhile, not a second passed before Warcher had his bow out, an arrow notched, and aimed at Peridot, who was relying on flying away with the metal tubes on her hand to make her escape.

This will not be permitted, A task from Lars to Warcher is something sacred and must be completed at any cost even if Warcher must sacrifice his life for the mission. 

Warcher released the arrow, and as the air around it vibrated, Peridot had no chance to react before it struck her.  She poofed instantly, the arrow hitting her with perfect precision. As her gem began to fall into the water, Warcher swiftly used the attachment to shoot a green beam, catching the gem before it disappeared into the depths. The other gems turned in shock, surprised to see Warcher present and using the same attachment that Lars and Peridot had utilized.

The gems watched as the remaining parts of Peridot's form fell into the ocean, never to be seen again.

Amethyst: Ew.

Pearl: I suppose that explains why Lars can replicate her hand... attachment?

With Peridot captured, the mission was accomplished. Now, they could turn their focus to finding Jasper and Lapis. However, it seemed that another challenge would soon arise, diverting their attention once more.