20

Carmen

"OK," I said, sitting on the edge of my bed after lunch, "I'm impressed."

"Are you?" Vlad asked, as he closed the door behind him and walked to the sliding glass-door to check the lock.

"With whom exactly?"

"Your king," I said, mindful of my voice and its volume. "Must be strange living here. This building is like an amplifier. Everything said in these walls reaches the streets by noon, right?"

Vlad glanced at me over his shoulder and then turned to come toward me, "He's lived here all his life. Also, that's not quite accurate. What's said in here at breakfast reaches the streets of Lycan by noon. "

I turned a little on the bed to see him better. I was feeling a bit warm inside, and liked the view.

"Lycan, I take it, is far away and full of werewolves."

"Yes, to both parts," he said, and came back over to me. "Would you mind standing?"

I looked up to him and stood, "Sure, what's the..." and he kissed me.

That's not quite accurate. He held the back of my neck and the side of my face in his palms, and kissed me, letting his lips pull at my top lip. And then he kissed me again, letting his lips pull at my bottom lip, and then he kissed me deeply, and explored every sensuous thing about me, leaving me breathless when he finally let me go.

I leaned forward after, putting my head against his chest. I had been kissed before. Several times, and not just by my grandfather either. There were boys. Well, there were five all together if we were just talking about kisses.

There was Gregory, from bible study who liked to steal kisses from me after Sunday school.

Then came Mark, who kissed me the first year of University, who didn't do much after that except furtive gropes of my breasts.

Jim, second year, who also liked my breasts.

Then there was Anthony, in post grad, who finally took me to bed, once.

And William, or Big Bill, as he liked to be called. Bill, liked my breasts and several other parts of me too, but not the important parts — like anything I had to say, especially about trauma and medical diagnostics. So he was only around for a couple of months.

Of the lot, Gregory holds my fondest memories — until now.

"That's not fair," I said, my objection would have been more effective if it wasn't breathless, I imagine. "I didn't know dragons could do that. I heard about the breathing fire. The virgins. Nothing about the kisses."

"We gave up the virgins."

"You did?" I asked, narrowing my eyes and looking up into his.

"Yeah, women who don't know how to kiss, are just hassles."

"Ah, a joke I fear," I said, putting my arms around him. "You can do better things with your lips than telling bad jokes."

And he did, only better.

A knock at the door and it opening with the King poking his head inside.

He gathered in the scene and then leaned back out and said, "Yep, I'm Uncle Max. Damn. Well..." then he looked back to us, "Alicja would like a moment, sometime soon at the examination room. Thank you."

Then he closed the door, and we heard, "Yes, I know you told me, dear."

Vlad looked down to me, then shrugged, "I really wanted to explore this kissing thing more."