Chapter 17

Just when I hooked my feet on my bike, the front door flew open.

"Where are you going?" Blake frowned with his oh-so-familiar eyes trained on me. It literally sent shivers down my spine. I didn't know whether they were shivers of delight or fright but the image of the big black wolf with those same eyes flashed into my mind and I backed out of the driveway.

"Out," I said in a dry tone before speeding out at about 70 miles per hour. I went past Mia's school and drove straight for the park. I glanced at the darkening sky before parking and walking towards the clump of trees. As soon as I stepped through the barrier of trees, a horrible sensation crept up my spine.

A cool breeze swept past me and the leaves rustled. The only sound that could be heard was my sneakers crunching the leaves. There was a slight stench of burning and flesh as I went further in. With my head bent down, I searched for any sign of blood that could have been dropped.

The smell of burnt flesh hit me harder when I went past a few more trees. It had to be around here but dark was creeping in faster and soon it would be completely black. I kept on walking until my foot hit a tree root and I heavily fell forward.

"Ouch," I muttered and started to get up when I suddenly froze. There in front me was a burnt wolf. Most of it had already burned to ash but there was a small piece of fur poking out of the pile of ash.

A lump formed itself in my throat and I had a sudden urge to cry. But I held it in as I stood up. If I cried then I would be done for, I wouldn't stop. I've held my tears for nearly three years, I could hold it for some more time. I shakily got up and dusted my jeans. I dug my nails into the soil and threw it onto the pile of ash. I kept throwing handfuls of soil on it until it had been well covered and out of sight.

Then I snapped two branches; a small one and a large one. Snapping some strands of extremely long and strong grass, I used it to tie the two branches together into the form of a cross. I planted the small cross on top of the lump of soil and surrounded it with little rocks.

Sighing in satisfaction at my handy work, I flopped down in front of it and clasped my fingers tightly.

I don't know who that wolf was but I hope it's in a nice place now. I have no lead and I can't find any open doors for me to go through. They're all closed and not a single light is coming from them. I don't know where to go and what to do but I do know that whatever decision I take will affect my sister. Please open a door full of light for me.

I don't know if  I can continue for longer. Please, whoever is in the heavens help me.

I opened my eyes and lifted them up to the sky now full of stars. But there were two stars that stood out the most and I hoped it was my parents looking down from the heavens and praying that I got through. I smiled at that thought as I made my way back.

I finally stepped out of the forest unscathed and climbed up on my bike. I drove out of the park and headed for the underground fighting area.

That was until I realized that I didn't have my trusty hood. Well that can be solved surely. I parked my bike a few yards away from the underground before leisurely making my way to the door. I knocked twice on it and a small opening in the door slid open. A pair of dark eyes glanced down at me before re-shutting the slide. How dare he! I was sure that if I had had my usual hood he would've peed in fright.

Anger filled me and I banged on the door. The pair of eyes quickly appeared. "Will you stop that and just go away. This isn't a place for little girls," he smirked and I scowled.